89 Force 125 cooling

rustyfan21

Cadet
I have a 89 125 force. The problem is at idle up to 15mph I am shooting water pretty good, over 15mph water stops. Is this a problem with water pump or blokage. Any help would be appreciated.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 89 Force 125 cooling

Sounds to me like you don't have a problem.

rustyfan21

Cadet

is it suppose to stop shooting water at higher speeds because it ran hot Sunday

rustyfan21

Cadet

I had ran through a sand bar, after that I idealed for 10 minutes roughly. It started smoking and shut off. I let the engine cool down and started it up and water pump was fine, but when i put it in gear and over 15mph water almost came to a stop. I do not know if this is normal

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is normal for the water to stop coming out of the telltale at higher rpms, at that point it all exits out under water- After running into a sand bar then overheating, I would pull your lower unit and look at your impeller especially if it hasn't been replaced in a while I'd just go ahead and replace it, you may have a problem there, the sand could have also plugged a water passage somewhere you could try to flush it with muffs

rustyfan21

Cadet

Water pump was changed last year, after i let it cool and started it it spit and sputterd for a little bit, maybe 15 seconds, i guess getting sand out of system, after that it ran fine i ran 15mph all the way back to the ramp, aproximatly 4 miles. I did not want to take a chance at burning it up. another ? is there suppose to be a overheat alarm on this motor if so were is it at and is it easy to change. Thank you

boatsmitty

Cadet

There is an overheat switch on the block around the head. It should have a single orange wire to it. There should be a buzzer on your console that is activated by the switch.

rustyfan21

Cadet

I will try this tomorrow, Thanks for everyones help. I appreciate it.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You didn't say you ran into a sandbar or I would have given a different answer.

rustyfan21

Cadet

I guess i should probably still change the water pump kit? I am putting it in the river tomorrow to test it again.

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A water pump replacement is alot easier/cheaper than a powerhead replacement-- Those impellers can be quite easy to trash