89 bayliner/80 hp outboard force motor

swfladad

Cadet
my steering on my 80 hp outboard force is tight, i disconnected the cable from the motor and the steering wheel turns fine,cable moves freely, i turn the motor by hand and it is tight, i greased it but grease only came out the bottom not the top, help how can i fix this

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 89 bayliner/80 hp outboard force motor

Thought about this one on and off all day! The only thing I can think of is putting some penatrating oil around the top of the collar and see if it will get down in there and loosen things up. Then regrease it! Good Luck!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 bayliner/80 hp outboard force motor

I'm afraid I must be the bearer of bad news.

Every Chrysler or Force I ever had would preferentially bleed grease out the bottom of the kingpin--so that's relatively normal.

However, when the engine gets too tight to turn it is a combination of corrosion on the kingpin and corrosion inside the yoke that carries the kingpin.

There are two plastic sleeves between the kingpin and yoke. When the yoke corrodes, it squeezes these plastic bushings tight around the kingpin and the engine becomes difficult to turn.

No amount of grease or penetrating oil will solve this problem. The only cure is to dismount the engine, remove the yoke and kingpin, and clean them. The plastic also takes a set so you must either replace them or ream them out a bit.

This is not an expensive job, but it is very time consuming and frustrating. If you can live with the problem for the season, it is an excellent winter project.