89 85HP Force add-on gauges?

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have the infamous L-Drive. Spent some time tuning carbs etc and have it running pretty nice. Installed impeller, a tell-tale and water flow is weird. When cold, I get fairly normal peeing. After a while at WOT, tell-tale just drips with some steam. Engine is cool to the touch - no alarms. Won't idle [warm] but with a touch of throttle it runs fine. Mechanic said any water from the tell tale means it's ok.

So here's the question. I want to put a temp gauge and/or water pressure gauge. Where can I buy and how to install? Tired of being paranoid. Also, why change in idle after running WOT?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 85HP Force add-on gauges?

There is usually a slotted stainless plug on top of the head. A water temp or pressure gauge sender can be installed there. OR: You can drill the irregular shaped boss on the top of the block just behind the top of the head. OR: If you can get it out or if you can drill and tap it there is a square head 1/2 inch pipe plug at the bottom of the block in the match plate (IF the Ldrive has the same match plate as the outboards) on the exhaust side of the engine.