-89 225/Trim works, stops and just Clicks...

D5GT

Cadet
Hello, I'm a newbie here, I'v read a lot trim/tilt topics... but no similar case found.<br /><br />When I push up/bown button t&t works fine, after half second to 10 seconds t&t dies. If I push the up/down button again t&t normally just "Clicks"<br /><br />After little while t&t works a bit again, and same pattern goes on.<br /><br />(looked/cleaned/tightened cables and replased both relays)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: -89 225/Trim works, stops and just Clicks...

Trace PTT motor wires to connector and disconnect it. Apply small jumper wires from battery directly to PTT motor wires. If PTT motor operates, then obviously the elec motor is okay. Note that by reversing the battery wires at that connector, the elec motor will run in the opposite direction.<br /><br />If the elec motor is okay, remove, clean and reconnect all related PTT wiring at battery and wherever it may be. Connections may seem tight but may be dirty, and dirt does not conduct electricity.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.

D5GT

Cadet

That weird proplem.. tryed to clean all connectors (again) everything looks OK...<br /><br />T&T motor works fine with jumper cables.<br /><br />Is it possible that low battery voltage may cause these problems?<br /><br />First works fine, then have to wait couple seconds "for recovery" It's not obvious reason, because T&T works same way when engine runs.<br /><br />I think I have to change all cables, when i take boat to trailer.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like something is getting hot and failing and then when it cools it's OK again. Could be your t&t switch maybe. Does it do this with both t&t switches?<br /><br />More likely to be on the high current side of the relays. Maybe a socket connection where the relays plug into. Check to see if anything is getting hot in this area.<br /><br />Just some thoughts.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Come to think of it, you get a click when you push the button. This means your switch is OK and the relay is engaging.<br /><br />The problem is in the high current side (i.e. the circuit that drives the t&t motor). If it's not the motor or the relays, I'd suspect one of the connections - as I said maybe the relay base. Does it do this in both directions, i.e. up & down or just one?

mysteryguy2555

Recruit

Im kind of new to all this but I had some similar trouble and found out I had a bad external trim switch. It would click and but drop the trim and the pump would stay on trying to drop my trim. I disconnected the switch and just touched the green to the hot and it went down, then the blue and it went up just fine. so the switch is bad.<br />Maybe this helps a little.

D5GT

Cadet

There's only one t&t switch on remote control. I haven't tested switch yet (it's quite new)<br /><br />Yep, same mystery fail, up and down<br /><br />I still believe, I'll find some bad connection or wire somewhere.. I'll take my boat to trailer in couple of weeks, then its easier to look all connections again.<br /><br />ps both relays are new and "clicks" fine, they seem to be ok.<br /><br />Thanks A LOT!

D5GT

Cadet

I haven done anything since last summer. That weird problem still exists.<br /><br />Today I used voltage meter, after t&t stops, there is still over 12 volts going to t&t motor, I measuded voltage next t&t-motor. I think I have bad motor?? Can't realise why motor worked fine with jumper cables... bad or good luck at the moment.<br /><br />If I undertood right, there can't be groundin problem cause engine has two wires, one for - and one for +.<br /><br />Does anybody know what happens when electric motos is going to "die" is there similar problems. (I haven't seen this kind before, normally fuse "blows" when brushes are going bad)

D5GT

Cadet

Ps I also bought new battery, no effect at all and checked alternator. There shouldn't be any cause for this.

D5GT

Cadet

I had bad luck last time I tested motor with jumper cables... Tryed again and after motor stops it tries to work, but. Motor is bad, I'm going to look what it has "eaten" after I'll get new one. Propably brushes ar bad.