'89 17' proline CC, 90 HP yamaha worthy?

bilou

Recruit
Thinking of driving 3 hrs. to look at this boat. Second owner says it needs nothing with low hours and was only used in the Great Lakes. Can't find any pics or specs. on it. Yamaha's seem to hold up quite well. How's this Proline for bay and inshore ocean fishing? I mostly fish with one or two others, and occationally want 4-5 for sunset cruises. What are the keys things to look for? Is $5,500 a fair price?<br /> Thanks, Bilou

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: '89 17' proline CC, 90 HP yamaha worthy?

Won't speak to the price but that sounds like a good combo. Proline's and Yammys are well thought of here in south Florida where most of the running is done in salt water.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

As for price, depends on hte shape it is in. I would try to get a picture of it inside and out before I go to see if ti is something worht seeing. I drove 4 hours to see an '87 Cobia with 115 Suzuki, picked it up for $3K. The trailier is very important to look at as well if you are going to pull it for 3 hours to get it home. Mine was on a brand new aluminum trailier. 1/2 the cost of the entire combo. Definetly put the boat in the water with the seller before to decide to buy. They can look good and run well, but you do not know about power and torque issues until you get them under a load. Good luck, let us know what it looks like.

Bradster941

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have that same boat but with a 115 OMC Seadrive.<br />A rock should be so solid. I run mine in the Gulf of Mexico and bouncing through 3 & 4 foot surf is no problem due to the deep vee and high wieght. Yup, these boats are rock solid.<br />That's the Pros.. Now for the Cons.<br /><br />1) It's a heavy deep vee boat and drafts allot of water. You won't be able to use it for shallow water fishing.<br />2) Two people can fish it, but when the big one is hooked up, there isn't much room to land him.<br />3) 4 to 5 people for sunset? Forget it. first theres no room to put them, second, it's a heavey boat by itself. With a 90 hp., you'll probably only be able to plow through the water.<br /><br />Sorry, but you asked, so I told. : (<br /><br />Keep in mind, Proline is a GREAT manufacture of boats and I would buy another one in a heart beat. Just not one under 21 feet.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

have to agree with bradster941 pro line is a solid and respected brand and VERY HEAVY. had a 16 ft. that drew a lot of water. found every sand bar out there. and it was tough to pull off. was very wide in the beam but looks were deceiving. interior space was limited and although it was rated for 5, anymore than 2 people made it real cramped even with the cooler seat removed. rode terrible, chops were ok but any hint of swells would require you to come off plane or be joulted to hell. kept the boat light (beer,gas,battery,wife)but could not help the handeling. i believe the the short length and wide beam created the riding problems. wound up selling it. would i buy another? depend on the length and how it handled in swells. did i mention it was HEAVY? regards fred.

GatorMike

Ensign

I disagree on the weight...Proline makes a solid boat but not near as heavy as some compairable boats. My dad had a 20' Robolo that was 1500lbs heavier than my old 20' Proline. My current boat a 19' Wellcraft is just as heavy as that old proline. Now the newer Prolines may be heavier, I don't know but he is talking an 89.

TOOSTROKIN

Seaman Apprentice

I have an 89 17 ft Proline and i love it. It has the OMC SeaDrive and it has been a great performer. I agree on the limited space and cramped conditions when trying to walk around the center console. Very tight.The boat is rock solid and i have been caught in some big swells with no problems. Im not sure of the weight but it does not seem overly heavy for the design.670 Hrs on boat and motor and still going strong.