'89 135 Black Max--stalling

clove

Seaman
This is a new topic from my previous topic which problems have now been corrected. Seems that there might be another issue needing attention. As a recap, originally the motor would stall out. Checked spark and noticed that I had no spark on #2 and weak spark on #3. Switch boxes were the culprit. Changed those out and good spark. Now, I get a stalling effect, that is only corrected by squeezing the bulb. The bulb is new(about a month old) and the fuel pump has been replaced. I have heard bits and peices about the bulbs and faulty check valves on non-oem bulbs(like mine). The problem of stalling is not consistent and rarely occurs on a full tank of gas so I assume it's the bulb. Can anyone confirm this? Any other ideas as to what can be causing this? Thanks for the help and previous responses on my other issues.

MortenH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '89 135 Black Max--stalling

Have you checked for air leak in or around the fuel pump or fule line? I had the same thing after rebuilding my I6. Discovered that a small amount of air was able to get into the pump. Tightened the bolts a little more, and the problem vanished.<br /><br />-M-

clove

Seaman
Re: '89 135 Black Max--stalling

Thanks for the reply. I have rechecked the fuel pump, bought an Mercury(OEM) line and bulb, and also checked the condition of the pick up tube and hose. All appears to be in good shape. After I did all this I took it to the water and ran for 30-40 minutes at all RPM ranges. It was on the trailer. No stalling or hesitation. Not sure if I fixed it but it works. I am taking to the lake in Michigan this weekend and giving it a good run. Also dropped a can of seafoam for good measure in case there was a water in the tank.