'89 135 Black Max--Mercury Switch question

clove

Seaman
I noticed this week that the motor starts when tilted all the way up. I know this is not supposed to happen and was informed of a device called a "Mercury Tilt Switch". Is this is the first sign of this device going bad? Anyway one can bypass this device without affecting other items in the ignition circuit? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Laddies

Banned
Re: '89 135 Black Max--Mercury Switch question

Its either bad or been disconnected by some one, it just needs the wire unhooked

clove

Seaman

NOt sure I understand your response. I did look on line and the verbage for this device is: "Mercury (tilt) Stop Switch. On-line it said that by it's position there is either ground or open circuit. Is this device really needed or can I by-pass it?

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

clove<br /><br />It's designed to shut the motor off if it comes up out of the water as if you hit something while running. Since your motor will crank while up it means the tilt switch is already out of the loop due to malfunction or having been previously disconnected, as Laddies said. Imagine running along at WOT and bumping something and the motor coming up, without any load you would turn some pretty mean RPM's. Might start slingin' parts around. Internally that is.<br /><br />Dave ..

KCLOST

Commander

It should be located above the switch boxes at the upper left hand corner....

clove

Seaman

The switch is there as I have checked it. By the looks of the responses it appears this part is needed. I'll look into getting a new one. Thanks to all for the responses!