89 100hp warning buzzer

fd203

Cadet
Well just got boat ready to run and now having a warning buzzer sound off, this outboard has the onboard oil resevoir, and everything seems to working right but am a little concerned about oil pump not working enough. I did drain the fuel out of carbs and looks like oil in fuel but this buzzer (alarm) is got me pulling my hair out. the motor smokes a little (like a two cycle should) I hope, but is there any way to check oil pump. also, I hate to sound like an ametuer that I am the outboard has been sitting for about three years and I have seafoamed the cylinder heads and carbs, but still wont hold Idle after choke lets off do I need a carb job? thanks for any help.[colour=null][/colour]

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 100hp warning buzzer

Spraying SeaFoam or any other carb cleaner into the carb throat hoping it cleans the carbs is a waste of product and time. All it does is clean the throat of the carb and helps get rid of carbon in the combustion chamber. Carbs need to be cleaned internally by disassembly, cleaning every passage and jet thoroughly, and then reassembled with new kits. Before taking them apart, if they have adjustable jets, make sure your seat any idle mixture screw counting the number of turns. Record that number so you can reset the screws where they were originally. If you have more than one carb, note its position on the engine and reinstall them in the same location.

gss036

Commander

I am surprised that Silvertip never asked you about your alarm. What is the alarm doing, constant beeeeeeeeep, or beeping? Constant is overheating, how is you pee stream? Is there water flowing? I would suspect a new water pump would be in order since the engine has been sitting for 3 years, the impeller does get brittle and hard and forms a bend in the veins.

fd203

Cadet

fd203 said:
Well just got boat ready to run and now having a warning buzzer sound off, this outboard has the onboard oil resevoir, and everything seems to working right but am a little concerned about oil pump not working enough. I did drain the fuel out of carbs and looks like oil in fuel but this buzzer (alarm) is got me pulling my hair out. the motor smokes a little (like a two cycle should) I hope, but is there any way to check oil pump. also, I hate to sound like an ametuer that I am the outboard has been sitting for about three years and I have seafoamed the cylinder heads and carbs, but still wont hold Idle after choke lets off do I need a carb job? thanks for any help.[colour=null][/colour]

fd203

Cadet

thanks for the info, the beep is short beeps one after another, and it is on the whole time the motor id running. thanks again.

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

fd203 said:
thanks for the info, the beep is short beeps one after another, and it is on the whole time the motor id running. thanks again.

check and see if there is any air in the top of the reserve tank on the motor. If so it will hold the float down and set off the horn. remove the cap and top it off.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect one of the wires going to the float in the oil reservoir and see if the alarm stops when running.
May also be the oil warning module if yours is equipped with it.
What is the serial number of your engine?