88Hp Shifting Problem

88HP

Cadet
I have a 1988 88Hp V4 with a sudden shifting problem. It shifted fine going into both forward and reverse at about 15 degrees either side of center and going into neutral with the shift straight up. All of a sudden it is shifting into reverse when pulling the shift back only slightly and does not go back into neutral until forward of center. I adjusted the shift cable and it worked better for a while, but is starting to do the same thing. The cable adjustment and cable jacket appear to be in good shape and secure, and the shift linkage appears to move smoothly with the shift control. I?m trying to figure out if there is a problem in the gear case. Thanks for your help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 88Hp Shifting Problem

Has anyone had the lower unit off recently?

88HP

Cadet

No. I've had the boat for about 6 months. I asked the previous owner when the water pump impellar was last repalced and he didn't know, so it has probably been years since the lower unit has been off. The shift worked fine up until about a week ago, and all of a sudden it didn't shift back into neutral from reverse. I changed the gear case oil when I got the boat and checked it yesterday and it still looks good (no water or metal). I will drop the lower unit to work on the water pump. Now I'm trying to decide if I have to take the gear case apart. Thanks for your reply Joe.

Tom

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The shift cable is obviously connected to a hefty shift linkage that runs under the bottom carburetor. At the other end of that linkage is an attached shift clevis where the shift rod slides into a slot. Inspect that mechanism carefully to see if the clevis may have broken, etc.

(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.