88HP Evinrude Breaks up when cold

scottr_6

Cadet
I have a 1988 Evinrude 88 HP outboard with a very strange problem. When it first starts up and for about the first 10 minutes of running it periodically breaks up. When this happens it seems like all four cylinders stop firing and the entire motor jerks. I have tried to remove the plug wires to isolate the bad one and it seems like it's all 4 at once. I am leaning towards a new CDI but I thought I would run it by the experts first. BTW Once the engine warms up the problem goes away

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 88HP Evinrude Breaks up when cold

scott,is it really 10 minutes?That is a long time even on a cool damp morning.What happens if it acts up and you push the key in to activate the "choke"?<br />DHP

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Pump up primer bulb, raise throttle lever about half way, push key in to prime engine for about 5 seconds and continue to hold it in while cranking. You may have to bump the key in to keep it running on a cool day or even a warm one... Not CDI(Pack) if it runs good after warming up..

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 130hp 1997 model johnson. It was doing the exact same thing, I found the gasket between the reed valve plates blown. Picked new one up and removed the carbs, the carb manifold, and the valve reed assembly had it back and running in under 2 hours !!! just a thought!!!!good luck

scottr_6

Cadet

Originally posted by scottr_6:<br /> I have a 1988 Evinrude 88 HP outboard with a very strange problem. When it first starts up and for about the first 10 minutes of running it periodically breaks up. When this happens it seems like all four cylinders stop firing and the entire motor jerks. I have tried to remove the plug wires to isolate the bad one and it seems like it's all 4 at once. I am leaning towards a new CDI but I thought I would run it by the experts first. BTW Once the engine warms up the problem goes away
Thanks for the quick replies but I think I need to add some detail. When I first start the engine it runs fine and after a little while it starts to break up. When it breaks up the motor acts like you shut it off and turned it off very quickly. It runs for 1 second then stops for 1 second over and over to the point where the engine jerks very violently. Once I shut it down and let it sit for a minute it starts right and runs great. In the mean time I will try the suggestions you guys posted. Thaks again.<br /><br />Scott

scottr_6

Cadet

Thanks for the quick replies but I think I need to add some detail. When I first start the engine it runs fine and after a little while it starts to break up. When it breaks up the motor acts like you shut it off and turned it off very quickly. It runs for 1 second then stops for 1 second over and over to the point where the engine jerks very violently. Once I shut it down and let it sit for a minute it starts right and runs great. In the mean time I will try the suggestions you guys posted. Thaks again.<br /><br />Scott