888 still has vibration .

I had a bellows develop a wear hole from the transfer line rubbing on it , Iknew I was due for U-joints so I pulled the drive and took it to a reputable boat mech. for u-joints upper seal and pressure test . I installed a new shift cable and all new bellows . I did not move the motor every thing is solid so I did not think I had to realign anything . The Gimble bearing felt smooth as butter so I did not replace it . Now I have a vibration when turning ,
probably the gimble bearing ? It really felt good . I had no problems installing the drive by myself so I don`t think it is an alignment issue .

Re: 888 still has vibration .

Nothing ? Wow , guess I`m the new guy and the answer is obvious ??

haulnazz15

Captain

Is it only when turning? Is the vibration there at idle speeds or only once on plane?

Only when turning , up on plane not a problem , it seems worse turning to port . It is present at all rpms when turning .

haulnazz15

Captain

I would probably go ahead and change out the gimbal bearing if I were you, and then make sure you use an alignment tool on the bearing so that the driveshaft yoke, bearing, and coupler are all aligned properly. It is normally to hear a light growling noise at speed during an aggressive turn as the u-joints are having to work at a more extreme angle.

The season is coming to an end here so I will probably be pulling the drive for the winter within the next month or so . It is just weird that I have a different vibration AFTER I put the u-joints in . I am going to find an alignment tool and check it before I do anything with the bearing just to satisfy My curiosity . The whole thing just makes Me mad because I tried to do everything by the book so I wouldn`t have any issues . Thanks for the help !

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, I'm not entirely certain, but you may be able to reclock the u-joints if the vibration still exists after you've checked the alignment.

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Possibly the new u-joint is causing the vibration?

Tim

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

The new u-joint can be causing it if they do not move freely.

I`m going to get a gasket and pull the drive to check if the joints are binding . I have a buddy in the business and hopefully
he has an alignment tool I can borrow .
Thanks for the input !!

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe u-joints need to be phased which means aligning all the grease zerks. Im not sure but im pretty sure i have heard of this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Whoever installed the ujoints could have easily allowed one of the needle bearing to flip over and is at the end of the cap. That could cause vibration that you can not feel with your hands but only under load.

If your alignment is out, you could have a worn coupler that could be causing this vibration. That is why you always check your alignment every year.

Finally got back to the boat after another Iowa winter , rechecked gimbal and I found issuses there so I had one installed and checked the alignment . If time allows I will reinstall everything and try it out and let you all know , thank You for the advice .

What is involved with replacing the coupler ? Removing the motor I presume . Thinking about getting a quote to do this . Anyone have an idea what flat rate hours might be for a job like this ?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
In most cases with easy access and nothing corroded and able to free the front mount nuts for adjusting, 2 hours to prep and remove.
Unbolrt rear housing, R/R coupler, install rear housing, install in boat, check alignment