888 Rear Shift Mechanism... spring???

PSS-Mag

Seaman
I'm having trouble with my 888, shifts fine with motor off, but once running it doesn't like to go into gear and when you do the it don't want to go out of gear. Forward or reverse don't matter.

A friend told me there is a spring on the rear shift mechanism on the back of the engine, for "Shift assist". Suppose to look like a wire bent and attached somewhere some how. I've done alot of work on this engine/outdrive/stern mounts, etc, had them out a few times. This is this engine and drive assemlies second boat and as of now... Mine don't have such a thing as any kind of shift assist spring. I may have lost it during a transfer at some point. Can some one post a pic of theirs? So I can either try to find one at a scrap yard or make one out of some spring steel. But I need to see where it attaches. If anyone can help mucho appreciated cause it is actually a little dangerous. Makes it hard and little scary to dock and especially to pull up to pick up a down skier/tuber/etc. or another boat etc.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 888 Rear Shift Mechanism... spring???

Go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of the forum. Download the manual for whatever year your engine and drive is. It will give you all the details

PSS-Mag

Seaman
Re: 888 Rear Shift Mechanism... spring???

Got it downloading now, thanks Don. I was just in there before I posted and didn't see the manuals. I seen the over sized text and thought it was a marker for a new section in the post, didn't actually read it to see what the over sied text said. That will come in handy many times over.... Thanks again!