'88 Yamaha 200 hp engine alarm at idle

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class
The engine has a new pump housing and impeller set. We had the same problem beforehand. It seems intermittant. Most of the time, if we rev it up, the alarm stops. Anyone have any ideas ??? Thanks.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '88 Yamaha 200 hp engine alarm at idle

Have you cleaned the poppet valve assembly?

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Ray Neudecker:<br /> Have you cleaned the poppet valve assembly?
No, could you please explain where it is and what its function is? Could that cause this problem?? Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes, its the leading cause of the problem you described. its on the exhaust cover lowon the stbd side. looks like a t-stat housing with 2 100 hex headed bolts. remove the cover, remove the valve, remove the grommet. use a hooked pick and clean the pocket carefully. install a new grommet being careful not to allow the grommet to fall into the cover. if it does it is retrivable without removing the cover but must be retrieved. reassemble it all and retest.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Rodbolt, appreciate the info.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, we can't find the poppet valve !!! Can't find any 10mm hex head bolts. Any further information on the location will be appreciated. Could it be that since this is an older motor (1987) that it doesn't have a poppet valve ?? Thanks.

easygo0

Seaman

bowhuntr i belive it should be in the housing where the hose leaves the bottom rear of the engine block to the tell tale pisser hole at apron

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

What end of the motor?? Front(facing the front of the boat), or rear of the boat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dude ya aint gonna make it.<br /> looking at the motor ,with the hood off, from the rear you will seei two cyl heads. the large plate between the heads is the exhaust cover. down low on the right hand, also known as starboard side, you will see a little housing with a 1" or so hose held to the exhaust cover with 2 10 mm hex heads. thats the poppit assy.

bowhuntrrl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to fix this long distance. My partner has the boat (Cape Cod) and I'm at home in western MA. I don't think I would have any trouble finding it if I had the boat. I will finally get down there next week. I'll buy the parts before I go and fix it when I get there.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hope your not reving it up on the hose!<br /><br />These engines are really peculiar about how they respond to runing on a garden hose feed. On my 200 it has to receive water from the starboard side or it will sound the overheat alarm. A dual feel muff helped some but still you have to cover absolutely every bit of the intake area. This link will take you to the yamaha parts manuals so you can look at the drawing. The so called "poppit" is item 48 on the parts list for a 91 200 model (it zooms in better than the one for your model). These valves tend to become clogged with sand and/or other debris. Good Luck.