88 Merc 115 L6 Temp Sender

jsmcc

Cadet
The Teleflex temp gauge will go to 0 when the ignition is turned on, which I take to mean the sender is properly grounded, but the gauge never registers above 0, even after running WOT for a few minutes. Motor still runs and starts just fine. Do I have just a sender problem, or could it involve something else as well (thermostat). Would I be correct in saying that if the temp never rose at all, the engine would have problems? I understand that if the sender is not grounded to the block, it would not do anything at all.<br /><br />Thanks

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 88 Merc 115 L6 Temp Sender

Unless you added something, the only temp sender that comes *with* the 1988 inline 6 is the little one to the right of the #1 spark plug. <br /><br />That one however is for a "hot horn". It knows only two states: "off" and "on". When "on" it grounds out its lead to the block.<br /><br />It's not meant for a guage.<br /><br />-W<br /><br />PS: While you're here, there is a little tiny brass jet in the cover over each of the 3 float bowls. With a regular screwdriver - remove them - and throw them into the water. Your motor is now 10% safer from a mid thrttle melt-down.