88 FORCE 85hp Trim Piston Leak

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a pretty bad leak at the starboard piston where the line attaches. It Looks like the previous owner may have tried to fix with JB Weld. I need to take it apart, I'm afraid it may be a stripped situation. Wondering before I do if anyone has ever tried to retap and use a connector? I don't know if there is enough meat there to retap? Pistons are $$$ and availbility? How about used Force parts. I'm new to this game!:confused:

RRitt

Captain
Re: 88 FORCE 85hp Trim Piston Leak

Rethreading the band collar almost never works. If the band is snapped or has corroded out threads then it isn't worth messing with. The cost of labor to reach the band collar far exceeds the cost of the parts. It doesn't make sense not to fix it right the first time.

However, if the collar is still good then you can easily replace the thread adapter with a weatherhead 1441. WH1441 is available from NAPA auto parts store.

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I looked at the parts breakdown and see exactly what you mean. Dosen't look like too big of a job.Guess I'll get into it tonight and see what I need. I see they sell the band kit pretty cheap. Maybe the way to go. Appreciate the info. O.T.:)

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I had a snapped off line at the collar band on my 87 120 Force...as a hydraulic mechanic , this is the goofiest set-up I have ever seen, I went to the trouble of removing the cylinder, disassembling it , drilling and tapping and installing a new brass fitting that cost $1.40 . I used a die grinder to remove the portion of the fitting that protruded inside the cylider, replaced the piston o-ring while I was in there and re-assembled it.... works like a champ now...what the heck were they thinking with that collar band set-up ?

RRitt

Captain

it is a low pressure fitting. Should never really need more than 40-50psi. They were thinking of keeping the tilt casting the same as the shock casting to reduce parts inventory and cost.