88 Force 125 trim/tilt low power problem

robsp2000

Cadet
My trim and tilt started to not work correctly the last few times out. It works fine going down. It will move up(expecially trim) but much much slower then normal. When it gets to tilt it will move slightly then you will hear what sounds like the motor giving up. It seems like it does not have enought power to lift the motor. So I have had to help it up while someone is holding the switch to load it into the trailer. It will still hold it's position relatively good. <br /><br />This problem first started after I replaced an ignition switch. I had removed all the wires from the battery when I changed the switch so my first thought was that it was not getting a good connection after I reattached everything. So I brushed all the connectors and reattached the wires and the trim/tilt seemed to work fine. By the time we were at the lake it was back to it's low power problem.<br /><br />My first thought is that it is a poor connection to the battery. But is that possible that it can draw electricity but not enough for proper operation from a bad connection? Or is it a all or nothing type thing? If the pump in the TNT is going, do they lose power first or just stop completely? It hasn't stopped yet, it always tries to operate.<br /><br />Any suggestions?

Re: 88 Force 125 trim/tilt low power problem

I just got mine fixed, it would not go up past trim and would bleed off very fast. I replaced the o rings and it works good untill i get to the tilt, only goes up about an inch the bogs out like a dead battery. The way i got mine to go up is to loosen the bleed valve on the bottom of the pump then it works just like nothing ever happend. Dont know why or how it works like that.<br /> hope we can figure this out<br />Give that a try and let me know.<br /><br /><br /> Diss

robsp2000

Cadet

Are the O rings where the shaft comes out of the cylinder to tilt the motor. My mechanic uncle looked at it and it was leaking there. Refilled with fluid and it is working fine again. I will have to get the leak stopped this winter. How hard was it t replace the o rings?

not to hard took about 3 hrs, just have to pull the the whole thing off and take it apart.<br />If you have the same as mine it was easy.<br /><br /> And was that what fixed the low power problem when the tilt was engaged?

robsp2000

Cadet

It ended up being really low on fluid and that was what was causing it to lose power and stop lifting. When I filled it tilt was working perfectly.<br /><br />Seperate question: I am new to boating this year, is it normal to see some fuel floating in the water after you shut the motor off?

hmm, mine is as full as it gets. Did you bleed your, if so how? maybe a little bit i imagine but you may have a leak somewhere. If the timing is off that may cause it too.

robsp2000

Cadet

When I bleed mine, I lowered the motor as far as it would go. Added fluid. Then I cycled up and down 5 times and put it back down. Then waited 10 minutes and added more fluid.