88 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 19'..............good?

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all!

I'm looking at an '88 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 19'. The owner took it on trade and wants it gone. He said it starts easily and the outdrive is fine. It has a Volvo outdrive. The problem is interior upolstry fading which is to be expected. I'm going to look at it Sat and plan on puting it in the water once I show him I have the cash.

What do you guys think? Any tips or concerns?

Thanks

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 88 Bayliner Capri Cuddy 19'..............good?

Lots of guys are going to tell you to run, not walk, away from that old of a Bayliner. I would pay for an inspection from a professional before laying one dollar down on it. Lots of them are full of rot (that you can't see easily).

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check it out good if the interior is that faded I would be worried about the floor and stringers. That and bayliner has always been on the cheap side of things.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

All depends on price and your tolerance for problems. One better be low and the other high!

cr2k

Captain

Very thin hulls so don't hit anything.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

What can I look for and where to check for rot on this boat. I don't mind replacing the floor or doing some upolstry work but I don't want to buy a boat with a structurally unsound hull.

I am either gonna buy this boat for $1800 with a motor that runs or I'm gonna try to se if I can get the '87 Wellcraft Classic 192 running and buy it for $1700. I don't know what to do.

I already found a Wellcraft Nova 23' with a Merc 383 stroker all in great condition for $2000. Increadible price but I can't tow it so it'd have to stay in the yard.

UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You really should tell us asking price. For example: For an 88, 2,000 bucks would be getting screwed without getting kissed first--no matter what condition.

Bayliners have a bad reputation and indeed early ones were a shoddy piece of work. However, quality did improve in later years. As a first boat, it will get you on the water but don't expect any trade value when you go to move up.SO: Again, It still needs to be bought dirt cheap.

AND, don't forget: If it is a cuddy, it will be a little heavier. If it has the small 4 engine, it won't move very well. At least it is not the Force L drive. Run, don't walk away from them.

Just saw your last post: I still think 1800 is too much. 12-15 would be more like it

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

What about the fact that the Bayliner is on a 2007 Roadking Alluminum trailer?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

add $200. most boats are on a trailer. And if he dunked that trailer in salt water often, maybe less.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

What does the Wellcraft need to get it running?
I'd rather throw a little dough at a Wellcraft than one dime at an old Bay...
Much better hull, hardware etc.

90 Carver Montego 21 "Suspicious Behavior"

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

What is your intended usage for the boat?

If you want to pop-up boarders and skiers, the 4 will pull them up,
but not in a pop.

If you primarily want to cruise around, then it's just fine for that.

:rolleyes:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Check out the year of the boat carefully because they did not use Volvos on Bayliners in 1988.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

Check out the year of the boat carefully because they did not use Volvos on Bayliners in 1988.

You're right. The motor is an OMC. The year is an 89 not 88. It's at a Marine Dealership and the guy that answered the phone didn't know what he was talking about.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

What does the Wellcraft need to get it running?
I'd rather throw a little dough at a Wellcraft than one dime at an old Bay...
Much better hull, hardware etc.

90 Carver Montego 21 "Suspicious Behavior"

I think it just needs a starter but he did have an overheating problem last year. The Mercruiser mechanics I've talked to, as well as some on this forum, are telling me that the motor in this Well is a particularly problematic one.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You're right. The motor is an OMC. The year is an 89 not 88. It's at a Marine Dealership and the guy that answered the phone didn't know what he was talking about.

Okay, there's nothing wrong with an OMC per se, BUT there hasn't been an OMC outdrive built since (I think) 1998. Both the parts for them, and mechanics that can fix them, become a little more scarce every year.

This does not seem like a great buy to me. My .02

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

I have found a Sunbird CC 19' completely restored and motor recently rebuilt. Does anyone feel like the Sunbird would be a better boat?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sunbird were also entry-level quality boats. They were at one time owned by OMC so many of them are equipped with OMC stern drives. Not all though. You need to tell us what motor and drive a boat has at minimum for anyone here to make an assessment. The fact that it's "restored" could be good or bad. If done properly good.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Grab the Wellcraft with the 383 for two grand. If you regularly boat at the same place find storage close by and rent a truck twice a year for the long haul. Most anything will limp a boat that size in or out of the water. But the main point is, buy a QUALITY boat. And run from the dealer that doesn't know what's in his own inventory, he sounds like the type that will tell you anything.

90 Carver Montego 21' "Suspicious Behavior"

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

Well, at least the sunbird's a nogo. I'm not dealing with title issues at all.

waju

Cadet

I had an 88, 19' capri cuddy with a 3.0 litre 4 cyl OMC. I had it for 6 yrs and never had any major problems. The engine was easy on gas as far as boats go and it would run between 30 and 35 mph with 4 people in it. We kept good care of it and sold it 2 yrs ago with no soft spots or rot and the engine ran like new. We enjoyed it but moved up so that we could head out comfortably for several days at a time. My biggest complaints were that there were no trim tabs to keep it level while under way (we had to move people around to level it) and the electronic shift assist was a PITA at times.