88 bayliner capri 1500

Eaglewings05

Cadet
hey guys I'm new to this site and new to boating. I purchased a 1988 bayliner capri 1500 with a force 50. The boat needed all new interior and the lower unit was fubar because the guy stored the boat with the bow in the air and the skag in the dirt with no cover in Colorado ( guy had the intelligence of an egg). I looked around and found two force 50's for a hundred bucks each and picked em both up. I changed the lower and now she runs good ( as far as I can tell). I paid 425 for the boat and trailer, and 100 bucks for all new vinyl and padding and have almost got the interior all done. My question is when I took the boat to the lake last weekend, she didn't do bad but she definately wasn't setting me back in the seat either. Keep in mind there were three of us in the boat and all our fishing gear, two 15 lb anchors, a cooler, and all the necessary safety gear. Each of us wiegh about 240. Is this typical performance for this boat and motor combo? How much better will it get with only one guy or maybe two? Did I get hurt at all in buying this boat? Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

cmhouser

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 88 bayliner capri 1500

hey guys I'm new to this site and new to boating. I purchased a 1988 bayliner capri 1500 with a force 50. The boat needed all new interior and the lower unit was fubar because the guy stored the boat with the bow in the air and the skag in the dirt with no cover in Colorado ( guy had the intelligence of an egg). I looked around and found two force 50's for a hundred bucks each and picked em both up. I changed the lower and now she runs good ( as far as I can tell). I paid 425 for the boat and trailer, and 100 bucks for all new vinyl and padding and have almost got the interior all done. My question is when I took the boat to the lake last weekend, she didn't do bad but she definately wasn't setting me back in the seat either. Keep in mind there were three of us in the boat and all our fishing gear, two 15 lb anchors, a cooler, and all the necessary safety gear. Each of us wiegh about 240. Is this typical performance for this boat and motor combo? How much better will it get with only one guy or maybe two? Did I get hurt at all in buying this boat? Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

My honest opinion would be that with a couple of 240 lb people and all your gear I wouldn't expect much from that combo in the area of speed or hole shot. I believe others have complained (or commented) about the very same combination. I doubt that boat is rated for much more than a 60 but I haven't looked it up.

On the boat... I'm not expert but Bayliner has a lot of critics to say the least. That being said there are probably those that swear by them. The same thing is true of the Force motors. Either way for $725.00 you probably did pretty good as long as the boat meets your needs.

MacE29

Cadet

Hey eagle, welcome to the site and boating. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the boat and good pricing on the interior rework. I think the boat is just underpowered. Hopefully you can find larger motor to put on it and I think you'll be happy. Get as close as you can to the maximum horsepower the boat is rated for.

Good luck!

Eaglewings05

Cadet

The sticker on the boat says max 50 hp. I've noticed from reading some of the posts on here that force rated their engines at the flywheel not the prop. However, since this is a starter boat, I'm not going to go pay a big chunk of money for a newer motor. I bought the boat just to do some fishing with my dad and my son and to maybe just do some recreation stuff with the wife and two kids. I guess I'm just hoping I didn't get hosed by not really knowing anything about boats and buying from a guy that didn't know diddly about maintanance. I've determined that everything thast came out of his mouth when I was looking at the boat resembled south end deposits from a north bound bull.

Also, the boat had no windshields, so instead of paying 150 a pop for new ones I acquired a used 5 section off of a 16 or 17 footer and plan to cut it down and modify it to fit. Does this sound like anything anyone has done before and how do you think it will work out?

I plan to change the impeller, plugs, and properly clean the carb. The lower already has new oil. Do you recommend any other tune up tips or preventative maintanance before it hits the lake again?

Thanks again for all your tips and advice.

cmhouser

Seaman Apprentice

The sticker on the boat says max 50 hp. I've noticed from reading some of the posts on here that force rated their engines at the flywheel not the prop. However, since this is a starter boat, I'm not going to go pay a big chunk of money for a newer motor. I bought the boat just to do some fishing with my dad and my son and to maybe just do some recreation stuff with the wife and two kids. I guess I'm just hoping I didn't get hosed by not really knowing anything about boats and buying from a guy that didn't know diddly about maintanance. I've determined that everything thast came out of his mouth when I was looking at the boat resembled south end deposits from a north bound bull.

Thanks again for all your tips and advice.

If all you really want to do is is fish a bit and lightly tube you'll do well. Like I said for $775.00 or whatever it's hard to have gotten taken if the boat runs decently (now at least) and is useable. You'll likely get your money back out of it. I was in the same prediciment as you were with being your first boat. Before I purchased one though I posted a lot of newb like questions on this forum and got a LOT of good feedback. It prevented me from making a bad decision for which I was close several times.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I'm not familiar with the work you've done to your vessel but is the foam under the deck dry? Soaked foam can add at least a couple hundred pounds easily. Then hopefully your stringers are ok...

Eaglewings05

Cadet

ok about to show how new I am to boating.....how can I check to see if the foam is saturated without cutting a hole in the floor? And, here is a question that will undoubtedly have some of you shaking your heads...what and where are the stringers? Is there a way to dry out the foam? Does anyone have any pictures of one a 15' bayliner capri with the floor our so I can see what I may be getting into?

Thanks for the help.:redface:

Eaglewings05

Cadet

Also, any and all info and comments anyone has about this year and model of boat and motor is welcome. Anything anyone has to say about what I should watch out for and little tricks that are helpful with these boats are also extremely welcome. thanks again.

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

congrats on the boat! I am new boat owner in the last year. Best advice I can share, don't fix it if it 'aint broke :)

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

1500's are kind of cool little boats.

Best indirect way to tell (without drilling, cutting, etc, etc.) is how is the boats condition? If its all original, been stored indoors, are the seats in excellent shape, is everything faded? or does it look good still...

Boats as old as ours (I used to have an 1986 Capri 1600) will vary greatly in condition based on how they've been treated...if its been outside for the last 22 years...I'm sure its wet.

If its in good shape, you might be fine. I certainly wouldn't go tearing up the floor if there was no evidence to support it being bad...if its solid, enjoy it.

Eaglewings05

Cadet

Unfortunately, and I hate to be rude but it is warrented, the MORON that owned this boat before me hasn't registered it since '04 and it was stored outside uncovered in Colorado. I don't feel any soft spots in the floor but i did clean out a good 3-4 inches of leaves and garbage out of the boat when I bought it. When I took it to the lake I made sure the bilge was totally dry and free of any dirt or sand. We were on the lake for about 3 hours and when I pulled the plug not a drop of water came out so no leaks and no condensation. I'm just concerned that with it exposed to 6 years of winter snow and rain here here in Colorado that I honestly have no idea if the foam could be saturated or how to check it without cutting a hole in the floor. I really don't want to go through the hasstle of replacing the floor in this thing so if there is anything I can do Someone please let me know. Thanks again.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

If you look through my sig link for my 1986 1600 rebuild you can see where Bayliner put foam in the boat. A 1500 has to be somewhat similar...on mine there was no foam below the deck. The hull was small enough that there just wasn't room for enough to matter.

My guess is that that is the case with yours. Before I purchased it, it also sat outside for 20 years, and I feel, held up well all things considered.

Pictures would help us all of course!