88' 3.0L MERCRUSIER/ALPHA 1

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just wondering if it's possible to pull off sterndrive and re-assemble with-out an alignment tool ??? i have the lower end off right now for impeller kit,thought now would be a good time to do bellows and water line ??? kinda new to the boat scene but very mechanical - thanks bruce

djvan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 88' 3.0L MERCRUSIER/ALPHA 1

Should be able to unless things are not aligned now. Shouldn't do a gimble bearing without doing an alignment.<br /><br />DougV>

Davcar

Cadet

Bruce, Yes you can do that ! If you don't change the adjustable engine mount(s)you won't change the alignment by taking off the stern drive. It is possible (but doesn't always happen) to kinda knock your gimbal bearing off center though when you pull the upper 1/2 off. The gimbal bearing can move up and down, right and left in its carrier. Thats ok, but it could lead you to believe you've knocked things out of alignment when you go to put things back together, as the bearing will be slightly rolled to one side from perfect alignment. An alignment tool is a valuable tool for straightening out the bearing in its carrier as well as being able to check your alignment every time you have things apart.....Dave

Davcar

Cadet

Bruce , Consider getting yourself a good manual. It'll have some good info in it as far as what to look for, torque settings and some small details that will save you time when working on your own boat. You've got an Alpha...make sure you put it in forward gear to slide the top 1/2 out and to slide it back in....Dave

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just wondering if anyone has a good way to get out the phillip bolt's on trim sending units ???<br />one broke free ,but the other three are froze-up pretty good.have been soaking them with WD40. any hints would help - going to use impact driver if i can't break them by hand. thanks bruce

affa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello<br />I have the same problem with the phillips skrew, I post this in a new topic!<br />Affa

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

alignment is probably allready off. rubber in mounts gets old and compresses, as does wood in stringers. and the engine coupler, if it has rubber. some mis-alignment is tolerable but it will just get worse if not corrected each time the drive is off. untill the limits of tolerance are reached and something breaks.

Bondo

Staff member

BMDODGE,<br />What akriverrat is saying is;<br />Your boat is a 1988........It's 15+ Years Old...<br />While you have the drive Off, Is the Time to Check All the Variables......<br />Do you Have To Realign..???<br />NO....<br /> Should you Check the Alignment..????<br />YES.....<br />This is the Time to head off Expensive Problems, Before they Happen.......

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i see , just got lost in the way the post was going. going to check everything out real good - got a deal on the boat and it's cherry... not afraid to put the money in it ,cause it's going to be worth it...guess i'll have to borrow an alignment tool. thanks guys - bruce