'88 225 Excel Recommended Service

bbach

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a boat with a '88 225 Excel. I really don't know the history of the motor other than it is a freshwater -- midwest motor.. The previous owner (3 years) reports that it 'ran strong' and had no problems. I do know he hasn't replaced the impeller in at least a couple of years.<br /><br />I suspect that the original owner maintained the engine with an 'open checkbook'. He had every slip of paper on the boat's original equipment and was over the top with saftey equipment (not many 22' Boston Whaler boats on the Great Lakes have EPRIBs & Strobes I bet). Inside the cover, the engine is spotless.<br /><br />I'm looking for recommendations on what service should be done, if any be before I use this motor. Just replace the fuel filter, lower unit oil and impeller? Maybe change the plugs if they look like they need it?<br /><br />The local dealer is suggesting that I change the head gaskets (he hasn't seen it yet). Is that overkill especially if this is a freshwater motor?<br /><br />Thanks. -- bud

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '88 225 Excel Recommended Service

I don't think I would automatically change the head gaskets but agree on the filter, plugs impellor and would also service the popit valve assy.

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Ray! -- Bud

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, How about a Link and Sync?