87 Yamaha 30 ELH Compression Trouble

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice
Motor troubles, Tested compression:
top-94
mid-96
bot-35
Any ideas on the cost to repair this engine? May as well go ahead and bore all 3 cyc. Need your advice please.

Know anybody that needs a good part engine?

Thanks,
Randy

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 Yamaha 30 ELH Compression Trouble

first ya need to pull the head and inspect for damage.
if its a saltwater motor it may prove difficult to dissasemble.
if its a freshwater motor it may be worth reconditioning. I use Ackemann marine in wilmington NC to repair my built up cranks. pistons are not real expensive on that engine and I use Ron's marine in portsmouth VA to bore my blocks.
UPS delivers :)

JUSTINTIME

Captain

could be just a headgasket, like rod man says
have u opened it up yet?

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

No I haven't.
When all this happened I know the lower cyl. was not getting any fuel/oil. It's the lower reading of 35. I did the ole place the rag over the carb intake and pulled each plug wire off. I had just removed and cleaned the carbs or so I thought. I could feel one of the cyl kicking in once the boat was up on plane. Then it must have plugged off again. I heard something like a pop or woosh "in my mind" that ain't good. as I was increasing speed. thing died. Changed plugs and it got me home, had to keep my fingers on the throttel controls at the engine or it would die.

When you say open it up yet? Are you meaning pulling off the back cover and looking at the pistons? or cracking this thing wide open?

From my understanding pulling the head would take splitting the engine apart. Now thats a litttle above my head. I talked to a local mech and he said depending on whats wrong, to pull the head, rebore, new piston may as well replace all three pistons could run from 900 to 1700 dollars. and then I would still have a 20 yo motor. I mainly use the boat during winter months, so run time on the motor I would say 5 or so years.

Thanks for your reply,
Randy

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

like I say,saltwater use and you most likly have a parts engine,freshwater and it may be worth repairing.
but I would remove the cylinder head for inspection.
now you know why I tell people if the motor is sick quit running it and take it to a Dr or it dies fairly rapidly :(.

randy_252

Seaman Apprentice

Fresh water for sure. Only I have worked on the thing. Never needed any except the carbs needed cleaning. Learned about using stablizer.

Like ya say it was going to the Dr. I got caught. Have to go to work for 2 weeks and will pull the cylinder head when I have time.

Thanks for the reply