'87 Suzuki 55dt Wont Start Sat Up For 7 Years After Being Winterized

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a friend that has a '87 Suzuki 55 DT that he has recently aquired. It has been sitting up in a garage for 7 years it had been winterized before being stored. This thing is clean I pulled off the engine cover and it looks new.
He replaced the fuel tank, line and plugs and can not get it to start. After priming it will fire and it seems to try to run for a split second before it does nothing but spin over. I am no marine engine tech. but have tinkered with outboards before doing minor parts replacements carb rebuilds and maintenace, but could sure use some advise from the experts before going in the wrong direction as far as trouble shooting.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '87 Suzuki 55dt Wont Start Sat Up For 7 Years After Being Winterized

Howdy, DRabbit.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Look in the Engine FAQs forum for "Awakening a sleeping outboard". After that, if it still won't start look at "Outboard won't start".

Good luck, and let us know what you find. My bet is on gummed up fuel system.

DADDYRABBIT1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I finally did a little more looking at the motor last night and found that it obviously was not winterized properly I drained the carbs and found them to be full of old gas. I sent him after a fuel pump, carb kits, and a water pump and installed the new fuel pump after draining the carb bowls and it did fire up and run but not peeing so I think all this thing needs is for me to clean and rebuild the carbs and to replace the water pump and it should be fine. Thanks for the help and if run into any problems I will be back for some help.

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I picked up a 1983 DT50 last spring that had sat for 15 years in a garage. The owner stored it correctly and he was able to start it up before I purchased it.

I got it home, mounted it on my boat and went fishing, it ran OK but not smooth enough to troll with. (I have an electric I troll with, however I use the DT50 when the wind is picking up).

When I got home I pulled the carbs off cleaned them up, blew them out, re-installed them, and went fishing. Motor runs smooth.

When you remove your carbs be careful to mark the linkage adjustments between the upper and lower carbs. My motor runs good, however I still need to Link & Sync the carbs to be sure that I am achieving quality high end performance.

The tell tale is strong but wisdom dictates that a motor that sits this long needs a water pump rebuild. Hopefully after first of the year?