87 Merc 115 - Is there a gas regulator on an outboard?

It wants to die if not given enough gas but then if you throw the throttle forward, it floods itself out. I can see one way or the other but not both. I know the fuel pump is pushing plenty of gas as I watched it go into a bucket while winterizing last fall. Is there a mechanism on the outboard that is supposed to regulate how much gas the carbs get and could that be why I have both situations?

Laddies

Banned
Re: 87 Merc 115 - Is there a gas regulator on an outboard?

No, pressure reg. on that engine you need to replace the inlets needles and clean the carbs

Sounds about right. I've got a manual on the motor. I'll have to find out what the "inlets" are. Thank you

No, pressure reg. on that engine you need to replace the inlets a clean the carbs

Are you referring to the needle valves? I hope so because I've replaced one in one of the carbs. The other two shouldn't be a big deal to replace.

I just watched a 3 part YouTube video where the guy TOTALLY dismantled the carb. Every last screw was removed. I know me. There is no way I'm going to be able to get it back together correctly. Can I just remove it from the motor and clean it sufficiently without taking it completely apart or is it imperative to gut the whole thing?

jbdmax48

Recruit

I just finished rebuilding my carbs on a 79 merc 115, they are really easy, the hardest part was getting them off, clean them good, and make sure to order floats, they do not come with the kits. Take lots of photo's if you feel the need, and of course the manual for your motor, really easy job

I just finished rebuilding my carbs on a 79 merc 115, they are really easy, the hardest part was getting them off, clean them good, and make sure to order floats, they do not come with the kits. Take lots of photo's if you feel the need, and of course the manual for your motor, really easy job

Really easy huh? Man I hope that's the case. Maybe I'll ask my 23 year old son to help. He's at that age where he doesn't possess that healthy dose of fear. Darn dollar signs are flashing before my eyes.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Called the needle and seat.