87 force 50hp motor waterpump issues

John5421

Cadet
I bought this motor and when I ran it for the first time on the lake the waterpump went out, my engine quit running, it was smoking and I had paint blistering on the lower cylinder. That was just my luck!! I thought of the worst scenerio, pistons are gone,cylinders are burned. Turned out that my pistons are fine my cylinders are oky but I did'nt have compression on the lower cylinder. I took off the head replaced the head gasket, waterpump impeller and drivepin, which was the cause it broke, and I have also replaced the thermostat. I had the head resurfaced so it was smooth, because it was a little warped. Put some oil in the cylinders put everything back on. Even the bolts were torqued correctly. I started my motor under a barrel and it started but this is my question the water does not seem to flowing out of the motor like I think it should. It has a constant spitting of water when idling and the water seems to be hot. My friend has a newer mercury motor and it has a constant stream of water being released even in idle. Is this normal for the older force motors or not? And is the water supposed to be hot when coming out. I have'nt taken to the lake and run it yet to see if it will release more water when at full throttle. Scared that something might happen again. Please if anyone can tell me if this is normal or not I would really appreciate it. I would really like to get back out on the water. My E-mail address is thejhan2001@yahoo.com or just reply on the post.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 87 force 50hp motor waterpump issues

The telltale on the older(pre 1990) Force motors just kind of splatters out. Most of the cooling water exits down below with the exhaust.<br />So that part seems normal.<br /><br />As far as it being hot, it should be warm, but tolerable to your hand. About 140 degrees MAX, About what your thermostat is set for.<br /><br />You might want to remove the thermostat and use a garden hose to backflush the engine, just to make sure there are no obstructions in the powerhead.

John5421

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, so everything sounds like it is in order. But do you think it will let more out when at full throttle. Also I think that this motor at one time had trim and tilt because the motor has alot of extra parts where the hydraulics should be. Do you know if these motors came standard with it. And where someone can purchase one at a reasonable price. Because man its a pain to lower and raise the motor by hand.

rogerwa

Commander

The holes on the back of the leg are actually exhaust relieve holes and not a telltale stream. The best you will get is spitting. The spray will be greater with higer RPMs. Other motors with the telltale stream have a hose that is connected to a place where the cooling water exits the head and produces a nice steady stream. Your water is being mixed with exhaust and will not produce a stream..

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you can get the tilt/trim working by only buying a part or 2, it may be worth fixing. Pump motors are about $300, brackets ?, lines ?, pump body $$$, cylinders $$ if you can find one.<br /><br />The cheaper, easier, more reliable way to go, would be to buy a complete aftermarket unit.<br />They sell them here on iboats, $439.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg..._id=350919230&current_category=cmc power trim

John5421

Cadet

thanks for all the information. I'm going to make a new post on my overheat buzzer. So if you read this first look for the post and if you can please help.