87 Force 50hp keeps tripping a breaker

FlyTSi

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 87 Bayliner runabout with a 50hp Force on it. The problem I am having is when you turn the key on it tripps the lower breaker in the motor, it will also do this while its running. I bought the boat last year and the owner told me this spring that he has went through 3 lanyard switches. When it is shorting the wires going to the lanyard get hot. At times it doesnt short and times it does. I can get into it 1 day and turn the key and she is fine, maybe all day maybe for a few minute, other times i can turn the key on and it trips the breaker, when the breaker is tripped it also kills the dash lights. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting.
Thanks in advance.
Kenny

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 87 Force 50hp keeps tripping a breaker

Diconnect your battery, tighten the cables at the starter selonoid, starter, proceed by checking and tightening any nuts and bolts, screws that have a wire connected to them such as grounds etc.

Then check all wiring on the engine to make sure there are no bare or pinched wires anywhere.
These are some simple things that you can try.

Good Luck! Have a great day!

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 87 Force 50hp keeps tripping a breaker

Check your (ignition switch) you said that the owner went through 3 lanyard switches and the wires going to the lanyard switch get hot when this happens and the breaker trips!