87 evinrude 70hp loss of power update

lostinboat

Seaman
my 87 70hp evinrude was losing power and spark at w.o.t. replacement of the power pack solved the problem. thanks to all who helped.

Fisherfield

Recruit
Re: 87 evinrude 70hp loss of power update

Hey!

I so love the internet! You have been having the same problems as myself. Carbs are clean....gas is pure....plugs are new....getting ready to replace the power pack.

Here's my question. Are you premixing the fuel? A tech here had me remove the oil mix lines, plug them and premix fuel. It ran really well for 10 hours then one afternoon..when I really wanted it to run..it wouldn't.

I'm wondering if the power pack senses the oil mix unit, not being connected or working..and is limiting my power all the sudden?? I don't know if that makes sense at all.

It seems to me that there must be an aftermarket one for people who've decided the engine is to expensive to replace when the oil injection isn't working properly and premix the fuel. Otherwise one of the main pigtails coming off that unit is useless??

jonesg

Admiral

Theres no connection between the power pack and the VRO pump far as I know.

lostinboat

Seaman

my vro oil lines are disconnected and pluged off. I pre-mix all my fuel at 5o-1.after replacing the power pack my engine runs great now, had it out today with no trouble. I also have the wiring disconnected for the oil pump side of the vro.

Fisherfield

Recruit

Good to know...what about the main pigtail that runs down to the pump...where the oil injection mix is supposed to take place? The one that goes to the oil tank has been disconnected for a while.

did you go with the more expensive one or will the others do just fine also?? CDI seemed to be the most expensive....it has no RPM limit?? Curious to know what a mechanic thinks????

Thanks for all the info guys. I don't spend much time on the site..expect to look for answers and of course throw out a few questions of my own!

My motor is an 85..but aren't they all the same pretty much??

Thanks again,

Jeff