87 Chevy 305 Q-jet idle issue

Roger wears

Cadet
87 bayliner 305 chevy Qjet carb ! Runs perfect everywhere but at an idle. Thought it was a vacuum leak found out that it had worn shaft syndrome fixed that and took it out yesterday. Anything less than 1000 RPMs engine idles very rough. I can't set the timing because the timing mark is way off ! Witch I could understand if it had a vacuum advance but it doesn't. Took it out yesterday made some adjustments thought I had it running perfect ( all but still a little bit ruff ldle ) but had it about where it shud b and shifted fwd-neutral -reverse a few times and it didn't die - wot and everywhere in between ran great even started back up when I shut it off without having to pump the gas once . But then i went for the dock then it went all bad. Shut it off to get the truck didn't want to start again acted all kind of stupid wouldn't idle at all like everything I had done was in vain giving me a headache please help. Maybe a clue to someone who knows what they're talking about shifter seems as if once in gear does not want to release. way more work than it should be to get it into neutral. Never ever had a boat do that before seems very strange. Only get stiff when it's around neutral or ready to change gears then usually dies almost always happens when you're trying to load it on the trailer. Iam Gona check for air leak at the intake manifold and hope thats some how it messing with the timing mark ! Iam pullin my hair out on this 1. All good ota all gray any how lol. Any ideas would be appreciated !!!

cr2k

Captain
Re: 87 Chevy 305 Q-jet idle issue

lower shift cable is probably bad. Also the control bow could need some tlc and grease, carb may need overhaul too.

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 87 Chevy 305 Q-jet idle issue

I dont want to take you off the carb path, but I had he same problem-rebuilt the carb, same problem, replaced the carb with one off a running motor-same problem. rebuilt that carb-same problem. went to the ignition, installed a est and blamo it got fixed. im not saying its not in the carb, i would agree that it may be a shift linkage problem activating your esa that is reaking havoc on your igniton.