87 85hp force takes forever to start

greetings,<br /><br /> at the intial start for the day, the motor takes about 5 minutes to start , lots of cranking, then it starts to sputtering and start finally...i prime the fuel bulb (new line + bulb), new plugs, grapped right....i dont get it....after it starts it runs great, will start RIGHT back up after its been shut down....just doesn't like starting intially...i checked the fuel screen where it says filter and it was clean...ideas?

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 87 85hp force takes forever to start

Check your carbs, choke, spark plug, etc. When a motor struggles to start its either spark or fuel related. If you have a manual, go through the troubleshooting guide step by step and see where it takes you. My bet is that your choke isn't functioning properly or going on when you engage it. A carb rebuild might be in order if its varnished up and the holes are clogging.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Is this a new problem?<br /><br />Are you advancing the throttle and using the choke when you start it. Activate choke by pushing in the key. Check to see if the choke is actuated on the carb. <br /> Advance throttle by releasing gear shift and pushing throttle level forward.

RRitt

Captain

87<br /><br />after reading you post, it sounded a lot like my problem. except that if my boat is 110% charged then it starts right up. EuroLava mentioned starter not spinning fast enough. But I know that starter is good and the other engine starts with slower spinning. I fugured it has to be something to do with voltage. 13.5V equals fast start, 13.4volts equals hard start. EL's comment taken together with spartanpele made some sense. maybe the carb was gunked up and the tiny little bit faster spin from 13.5V was enough to suck some gas past the varnish build-up.<br /><br />They were right. both of them. I took the carbs off this morning, dropped the bowl off and sprayed generously with carb cleaner. ran a pipe cleaner through all the jets. took out the idle jet and sprayed and pipe-cleaned that passage too. just left the floats in place ... cleaning only. after re-assembly, it fired right up and cold-idled noticeably smoother.<br /><br />so maybe that's your problem too?<br /><br />by the way - thanks spartanpele and EuroLava. you helped me yet again. I have now reached the holy-grail of PWO. couldn't have done without you and roscoe.

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're welcome. Been there, done that, and glad to pass on any bit of info I can. This site has served me well before and I enjoy returning the favor. Good luck with your boat...!

imported_LakeRunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would also do a cold and hot compression test. Low compression can also cause it to not start up. A decarb wouldn't be a bad idea either! See thread on decarb process.