87 50HP Force Rebuild

bay5884

Seaman
Thought I'd put a new subject on this since I'm so far into ittat this point. To see what led up to this, look for "87 50 hp Force Overheating". thanks<br /><br />Ok, so I've taken off the head, flywheel, starter, wiring harnesses from the port side, shift and throttle cables from the other side, taken all of the inverted torx bolts out from the underside, and all of the bolts holding the base to the cylinders and still am not able to either lift the engine out or split the base from the cylinders. Trying to get to the pistons in order to change them and have the cylinders bored. I assume something with the driveshaft is what's stoping me but no idea exactly what. Any help out there? Thanks in advance!

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: 87 50HP Force Rebuild

Located under the carbs you will have 2 more bolts to take out. The connect to a rubber mount.<br /><br />TMD

bay5884

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work right now, so I don't have the engine in front of me but I really can't picture any bolts there. (mostly because it seems like I looked around and around for about an hour before giving up last night!)Anyway, taking these bolts out will release the engine, right (not part of splitting the engine)? Thanks again

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Yes...you should be able to remove the powerhead after you remove the 2 bolts. The head of the bolt is toward the front of the engine.<br /><br />Do not try to split the case until you have the powerhead off...as you will damage the crank case sealing area.<br /><br />TMD

bay5884

Seaman

Well, no luck. There are no bolts that I can see under the carb with rubber mounts. Just to be sure, we are talking about an 87 50HP right? Model # is 507X7C. There are two threaded studs coming from the bottom of the engine and sticking out underneath the cowling connected to rubber mounts, I've already taken the nuts off those. I've taken only the lower section of the leg off (water pump and below). Does the rest need to come off right up to the bottom of the cowling?<br /><br />Manual is in the mail with the parts, but I wanted to get this off and the cylinders bored ASAP. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

bay5884

Seaman

Found the bolts that you were talking about last night...had to take one more cover plate off to see them. Also found the last bolt hoding the engine itself in. Took the Exhaust port off..one long bolt heading straight up into the base. So everything's off, split, heads being checked and boring for the new pistons. Looks like the old pistons have to be pressed apart? Can't find any retaining clips. And I would assume the new Wiseco piston kit will have to be pressed back together? (comes with retainers though)<br /><br />Now for hopefully my last question for this project...the company that I ordered the parts through forgot to add my manual and thermostat to the order, all I got was the pistons, gasket and seal kit. The thermostat I was able to find locally, so no big deal, but I need the torque specs for anything and everything I can get now. If anyone has these, I would really appreciate it. And thanks for all the help thus far!

John5421

Cadet

cylinder head bolt torque 270in-lbs, flywheel torque specs 80 ft.-lb,connecting rod torque 180-190 in-lb,power head-to-motor leg 160 in-lb.,crankcase cover (outer screws 70 in-lb main bearing screws 270 in-lb.), cylinder drain cover 70 in-lb, exhaust cover 70 in-lb. Anything in in-lbs divide by 12 to get ft-lb. There is a section on standard torque valves but you need to know screw or nut size if you need this tell me the size and I can give it to you.