87 50 hp force overheating

bay5884

Seaman
I have an 87 Bayliner 14 with this engine. It has overheated and shut down already. Seems to have compresion still, just checking by hand, so hopefully I'm ok there. My question is, can someone give me some step by step instructions on getting to the water pump impeller and thermostat on this? Took the 4 bolts out to get the lower unit off, but am already having trouble with the shift linkage. Also if anyone knows where I can get a good manual for this it would sure help in the future! Thanks

QA Dave

Cadet
Re: 87 50 hp force overheating

Try OUTBOARDPARTS.COM for a Manual. Believe me its money worth spent when trying to work "any" motor......

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Click on the link at the top of the Iboats page for a Manual.

bay5884

Seaman

Thanks for the info...I think I've found enough info to get started by searching the forum for the same problem. One more question though, does anyone know what the compression should be for this engine? Definitely want to make sure everything's OK there.

jasperpso

Seaman Apprentice

here is a link for this water pump. I just did this exact same job on my 87 force 50 and it was fairly easy. This pump kit has excellent instructions with it, i found them much more helpful then the Seloc Service Manual I also own. The jist of it is you pull the four lower end bolts, then put engine in reverse, remove cotter pin and shaft, slide lower unit off and change the pump, it was my first time and i did it in about 30 minutes start to finish.<br /><br /> http://www.smartcart.com/webpro2/cg...ater_Pump_Kit&level=0&category=Water_Pump_Kit <br /><br />hope this helps<br />jason

jasperpso

Seaman Apprentice

by the way, i was told it was a 9:1 compression motor, and with the displacement it has, i calculated a new engine should have 117.6 lbs per cylinder. My engine which is in excellent condition, has about 115 lbs. I would say as long as it is over 100, and within 10% of the other cylinders, it should be ok.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If the shift linkage is like my chrysler there are two threaded steel rods. One on top and one on bottom with what looks like a 3 inch nut. One side of the nut is treaded larger than the other side. One of the threaded rods has reverse threads so when you turn the nut one way it makes the shift linkage tighter. I screw it down to the lower linkage. YOu may need someone to help holding the lower unit while you do this. I wedge wood and a pail underneath the lower unit until I have is disassembled. YOu can get most of the linkage off if you keep the four bolts connecting the lower unit on with nut turned so only one thread is holding the nut.<br /><br />Good luck. It is a lot easier to do with the manual. Be careful when you take the water pump apart. You want to remember how it goes back together.

bay5884

Seaman

Well, I took the lower end off last night, the impeller looks fine. Still has the rounded end on each fin. Here's the question though. When I split the lower end off (where the 4 bolts are), there's no gasket there. Looking at the top of the leg right in front of the water pump housing, there's some oil in there (which looks like it should be able to get in there) and A TON of grease, dirt, you name it. Shouldn't there be a gasket there?<br /><br />As far as the top end of the engine, the thermostat looks pretty bad, so I'm thinking at this point that it was the overheating problem. Hoses from the water pump are clear. Looks like the head gasket was also bad and it was leaking between the cylinders. One piston with a small crack in it to be replaced, and the head needs to be at least honed. Definitely looks like it's overheated before.<br /><br />Now, I bought this boat from a marina (never mind driving 1300 miles round trip to get such a good deal). I'm going to call them today and find out, but shouldn't there be at least a 30 day warranty from them? I would assume so, but anyone with an opinion please let me know. <br /><br />They offered before I drove out to take the boat for a test run when I got there, and again while I was there. With time restraints and everything else, I figured them offering was sufficient and told them that hearing it run off the hose was fine. Never buy a boat without taking it out for a nice LONG ride first!

bay5884

Seaman

No warranty from the dealer (even though I haven't taken anything apart yet ;) Time to start pricing parts...any suggestions for a good (cheap) site to order from?

John5421

Cadet

Hello, there I have the exact same boat and motor I think. I had the same experience you did but my buzzer never went off. This is what I did, I changed out impellers and the drive pin that turns the impeller(the drive pin is what actually broke and caused this problem)it's only a .76 cent part at a force motor repair shop. I put everything (lowerunit) back on. Then I took off the powerhead the head is not actually not hard to take off. I took the head off and noticed it was warped from the heat ( do you have paint blistered or bubbling on the lower cylinder because thats usually the first to overheat. I had my father in law (who's a mechanic at a dealership) he sanded the head surface so it was level again then I replaced the head gasket ($28.00 part) took some emory and carefully sanded the scratches in the cylinder so they were a smooth as possible. Shot some machine oil in the cylinder then turned the flywheel so it would move the pistons to lubericate the cylinders. Make sure when you have the head off that you check the thermostat($17.00part) its in the little bulge shaped like a oval or somewhat square mine was shot. Also check the pistons while you have the head off if there is burn marks,holes,chips or any signs of wear you'll have to replace those and have to have the cylinder rebored. I will tell you a site that i priced pistons and rings if thats the case but I did'nt have to do that. I put the head back and torqued all the bolts to the specs. (get a repair manual if you don't already have one) I also replaced the the thermal switch (its a little circle that should have a orange wire going into it on the bottom of the head its held by a washer that has to little holes you squeeze together to get it out. I don't actually know what that is called. Make sure you disconnect wire from the module. I put everything back on and now it runs great again. I hope this helps you need anymore advice let me know. I not a guru at this Actually I'm a rookie just like you. Luckily I had a good boat repair shop give me advice and a father in law who knows what he's doing. After you get everything running again double check the buzzer. I can tell you how to that later.

John5421

Cadet

Here a good boat shop I went to it's in Topeka Kansas. The name is lakeside marine ask for Tom he's good help. You can call information and get the number or let me know and I'll get it to you.

John5421

Cadet

I forgot something when putting the bolts in the head make sure you buy some loctite you can buy it at any autopart store. This prevents them from backing out of the head later.

John5421

Cadet

My email address is thejhan2001@yahoo.com this way you can contact me easier. This forum is great, I have put other posts on it and received alot of feedback so listen to what others are telling you they know what they are talking about.

bay5884

Seaman

Back to an unanswered question on this. When I took the lower end off the impeller looked fine. Still has the rounded end on each fin. When I split the lower end off (where the 4 bolts are), there's no gasket there. Looking at the top of the leg right in front of the water pump housing, there's a little oil in there (which looks like it should be able to get in there) and A TON of grease, dirt, you name it. Shouldn't there be a gasket there?

John5421

Cadet

When I dropped my lower unit i did'nt have a gasket. I double checked my repair manual and on the chapter of gearcase it says nor shows anything about a gasket around the motor leg. I put mine all back together and seems to run great now. It be just excessive grease build up and dirt that collect on it. Let me know what else you find out on that I'm curious too.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I have a chrysler 45 hp and they dont have a gasket there.

jasperpso

Seaman Apprentice

i have the exact same motor, and again, no gasket there.. mine had sand and guck in there, but no oil.. you might change your lower end lube and check for water, just to make sure you arent getting gear lube up the seal below the water pump.. otherwise i would guess you are ok there.. <br />One thing for sure is, my impellor was bad, even though it looked ok.. I just did a water pump last month. the impellor still had all the round ends, but they were bent over a little, seemed like it was tight though, but it wasnt working, i changed it with the before mentioned kit that included a new pin and housing, and it is pumping water great now.<br />my point is, change the impellor anyway, you will be happy you did, so you wont have to fix the powerhead twice. instead of just this time, might as well be better safe then sorry since you are new to all of this.. <br /><br />Jason<br />87 Bayliner 1410 Trophy Bass<br />87 Force 50hp

bay5884

Seaman

Ok, so I've taken off the head, flywheel, starter, wiring harnesses from the port side, shift and throttle cables from the other side, taken all of the inverted torx bolts out from the underside, and all of the bolts holding the base to the cylinders and still am not able to either lift the engine out or split the base from the cylinders. Trying to get to the pistons in order to change them and have the cylinders bored. I assume something with the driveshaft is what's stoping me but no idea exactly what. Any help out there? Thanks in advance!

jasperpso

Seaman Apprentice

scroll down and order a manual<br /><br />jason