86' Welcraft Portifino (Still have Problem)

Flames

Seaman
Hello guys, here is the last post I made on this subject please read Last post HERE)<br /><br />here is what i have done since, i have removed intake and replaced lifters, re-adjusted valves, cleaned spark plugs, replaced carb., cleaned dist. cap and rotor.<br /><br />It is still missing and has No Power.<br /><br />Compression is still good.<br /><br />lets make sure I adjusted the valves right, after valves had pumped up i bumped engine over until each valve was closed and adjusted them down till no more movement and went another 1/4 turn.<br /><br />did this till all were adjusted. thats the way i always did my small block chevys and never had a problem with them.<br /><br />Anyone have any clue as tgo what is going on?<br /><br />Thanks Rudy

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 86' Welcraft Portifino (Still have Problem)

Did you make sure all the lifters were lifting the same amount (all intakes the same, and all exhausts the same)? If there is a lobe bad on the cam replacing the lifters will not help.<br />Also, on all the marine engines I have worked on, the adjustment calls for a full turn after zero lash. What does you manual call for.<br />Have you checked the firing order? and checked the spark plugs wire resistance? Bad plug wires will cause the proble as well as a bad spark plug (although clean)<br />Try starting the engine and pulling the spark plug wires out of the cap one at a time and see if it causes a change in the sound of the engine. A good firing cylinder will drop the rpm and cause another miss. One that does nothing is the bad cylinder. Move the plugs and plug wires around and see if the miss follows the plug or wire.

Flames

Seaman

Thanks Don, all the lobe are fine and lift the same, as for the lash, I will try a full turn tomorrow. Firing order is right, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.<br /><br />i ohmed the wires and the resistance is right,as for checking to see what cyl. it is, the engine wont run well enough for that, no idle at all. <br /><br />It backfires alittle from the carb. but not the kind of pop it had when the rocker came off.<br /><br /><br />Im lost and at wits end, anything Im missing ?<br /><br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

Don S

That's the correct firing order. Hope you have #1 on the distributor at #1 TDC on the crank <br />Have you made sure you have the right point dwell and that the points are ok? I assume it's still the points ignition. Also check that the extra spring is added to the points incase someone went and got some cheep automotive points and forgot to put the spring in.<br />Have you checked for vacuum leaks? A major leak will sure keep it from idling.

Flames

Seaman

Dist. is right and it has electronic ign. I will try running the lash down a full turn and see what happens, I will let you know.<br /><br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

texomatom

Seaman

Could it be valve timing? Jumped timng chain maybe?<br /><br />Tom

Flames

Seaman

no, i dont think so, I have pulled #1 plug out and brought it up on compression stroke and lined the balancer up to zero and the rotor is at #1 on cap.<br /><br />thanks anyway, anymore help?<br /><br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

Flames

Seaman

Hello all, I went back to the boat today and adjusted the valves to 0 lash and 1 full turn and it would'nt even start. I also removed the other dist. from the other motor and installed it and the cap,rotor,and wires on the engine that is giving me hell, it does the same thing. <br /><br />Man, I am so disgusted with this thing it aint even funny.<br /><br />If anyone else has any input please let me know.<br /><br />I do know about engines, I have been an auto mechanic for 22 years (ASE Master).<br /><br />Thanks to everyone that is helping me with this thing.<br /><br />Rudy

This is a twin application, does the engine rotate opposite of the other engine? possibly a right handed engine? if it is re route the plug wires for a right hand motor.

Don S

Since it got worse after you adjusted the valves, let's make sure you used the correct sequence.<br />With the engine turned to compression stroke for #1 at TDC you should adjust the following valves.<br /><br />NOTE: remove all spark plugs before turning the engine, and then stick the hose from the compression tester in #1 cylinder (Port Forward cylinder) and turn until you can feel compressing building in the hose (use your thumb over the hose), when it starts building, continue cranking till the timing mark is at 0.<br /><br />Now adjust the following valves. <br />Intake....adjust intake valves 1,3,4,8<br />Exhaust...adjust exhaust valves 1,2,5,7<br />Then turn crank 1 complete revolution (360 degrees) and adjust the following.<br />Intake....adjust intake valves 2,5,6,7<br />Exhaust...adjust exhaust valves 3,4,6,8<br /><br />I have also had some new lifters that would not pump up the first time by cranking the engine over. I used an oil can with a piece of hose on the end (to act as a seal) and squirted oil into the lifters through the side hole. Then they adjusted up properly.

Flames

Seaman

Thanks, the engines both rotate in the normal direction (clockwise), I will try adjusting the valves again but are we sure about the adjustment, 0 lash and (the part that bothers me)1 FULL turn?<br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

Don S

Good thing I rechecked, Make that 3/4 turn down from zero lash.<br />That is a Volvo spec, but it's still a 454. I was under the 350 column before when I said 1 turn.

Flames

Seaman

Thanks Don, I will try it @ 3/4 turn on Monday Morning.<br /><br /><br />Rudy

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you sure? My Wellcraft St.Tropez 7.4 twins has one motor counter rotate. I know from experience, the CR motor will run with the wires in the same configuration as the other but will run rough and backfire. The cap should have two sets of numbers on it, one firing order is CR. <br />Also, hydraulic lifters are hard to get wrong, if they aren't tapping, they are probably fine. Even then it won't run that rough due to it, so your problem is elsewhere. How about timing chain? Could it have jumped a tooth or two?

Flames

Seaman

Hi Mike, yes I am sure it rotates clockwise and as for the chain I believe it is ok, the engines are very new.<br /><br /><br />Thanks,Rudy

Don S

the engines are very new.<br />
Are these new model engines, or rebuilt 1986 models???<br />The newer engines do not have adjustable valves.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hate to answer a question with a question, but in this case I think it is waranted. I read your old post and am wondering exactly what were the circumstances leading up to this problem. How long were the engines running properly in the boat before it started to backfire and you found the rocker off ? Was the rocker on an intake or exhaust valve ? Are you working on the boat in the water or on land ? And as Don asked are these new or rebuilt, if rebuilt, by who ?

Flames

Seaman

Don, they are rebuilt 86' models<br /><br /><br />Waterone,he only ran the boat for about maybe 8-10 hours.<br />the rocker that was off was on a exst.#1<br /><br />I am working on the boat in the water.<br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

Flames

Seaman

Thank you all for your input, I now have it running like a dream.<br /><br />After adjusting the valves to the right specs it runs great.<br /><br /><br />Thanks again, Rudy