86 OMC Cobra Out Drive question

I was bored today so thought id go for a spin at the local lake, backed her in, started fine, reversed of the trailer and went for a spin, driving around haveing a great time then thought "thats enough for today" so back to the ramp I went.<br />Slowing down to a crawl just before the dock I went to pull her the last bit to disengage the box then it seemed very hard to pull back?? putting even more pressure it still didnt want to disengage? by now the dock was pretty close and so was shallow water! so with a little more (which seemed exsesive) it disengaged. "phwew".<br />This is only one of a few since purchased outings I have had but this has never happened before.<br />I am going to look very closely and give plenty of grease here and there to try and sort the problem as this is definately the first time it has done this.<br />Being my first I/O maybe I did something wrong? My tilt was fairly high at the time, would this posably be a cause?.<br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br />thanks<br /> mike.

goodtimeguy

Cadet
Re: 86 OMC Cobra Out Drive question

that problem wouldn't occur from having the leg to high. check you shifter cables make sure that they move nice. then grease your leg. if you have to take any of the leg appart get a manual. parts are really expensive.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 86 OMC Cobra Out Drive question

There is a shift interupter circuit on your engine that helps the lower unit shift OUT of gear. It consists of 1 or 2 switches (depending on year or upgrades) and an electronic box mounted on the motor. Find a QUALIFIED mechanic to check and adjust the system. You may have additional problems on an 18 year old rig.<br /><br />If the motor is idling too high, it makes shifting even harder when the interupter is not working.