'86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses......Pics included!

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice
So I finally bought a boat and it has a known problem. One of the trim hoses are leaking and you can lift the outdrive by hand. Has anyone ever changed these and do you have any tips for me?

Thanks
Brian

Bondo

Staff member
Re: '86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses

Ayuh,... Remove the Old,+ replace with New...
Use a Tubing Wrench, not a regular combination wrench...
Refill the oil Resv., then cycle it a few times to bleed it...

Go Boatin'...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Use a Tubing Wrench, not a regular combination wrench...

Just to echo what Bond-o says... forget trying to do the job with a regular open end wrench. If you don't have the flare fitting wrench - go out and buy a set. They look like this:

00944096000-1

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I can't seem to confirm the seller's statement on a leaking tilt/trim hose. This is my first I/O so I am not extremely farmiliar with it. I can see where the tilt/trim pump is but where is the hydraulic fluid res? I was thinking I would refill the res and run the tilt/trim to see if I can identify the leaking component, provided that's what the problem is. Like I said, I can here the motor running when I press the tilt button. Does anyone have a digital copy of the manual for this boat? Anyone have any troubleshooting tips for the tilt/trim system?

Thanks everyone!
Brian

Bondo

Staff member

I can see where the tilt/trim pump is but where is the hydraulic fluid res? I was thinking I would refill the res and run the tilt/trim to see if I can identify the leaking component, provided that's what the problem is.

Ayuh,... Look Closely at it,...
It should be somewhat obvious as to which end is the motor,+ usually the bottom is the tank...
Somewhere there'll be a Screw or 2 near each other...
The larger being the Fill hole,+ the other being a vent...

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses - New info maybe bad!

Ok, so I filled the fluid res and tried to run the tilt.....nothing. The motor ran but no movement on the outdrive. I let the rope that I have it tied up with loose and it dropped about halfway and stopped. I started to push ir down and I heard the tell tale fluid and air escaping a hole sound. I got in the boat and ran the tilt up and decerned the sound was coming from the two lines leaving the pump housing right before they go through the transom. I shined the light down there and saw that it is actually leaking from the braided hose itself. It's about two or three inches from where it disappears into the transom.

What I don't understand is where it goes next. There are only two hoses visible inside the engine compartment but four for the two rams (two each). I am wondering how to get to the other end of the leaking hose. I'm scared the engine will have to be removed................huh!

My boat is a '86 Sportcraft Cuddy 18'9". Please help if you can.

Thanks
Brian

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Keep Lookin'... There's a Manifold there somewhere, where the 2 hoses become 4...
On a Mercruiser it's accessed from outside, below the drive...
I don't do OMCs, so I don't know what ya got...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the manifold on the OMC cobra is just above the driveshaft on the transom shield.
engine removal simply depends on access to the manifold.
two lines go into it on the engine side and 4 lines come out on the drive side.
one nut,accesible from the drive side, holds the manifold in place.
if its a saltwater use package its a beast to remove but it falls out the drive side.
may be a good time to catch up on drive side maint as your most likly gonna have it all apart anyway.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

rodbolt,

Please excuse my lack of experience with I/O motors, but what exactly is the transom shield? I'm guessing it's some sort of shroud around the hole in the transom where the outdrive is mounted, correct? You said the manifold is above the driveshaft. The two lines coming from the pump go under the entire motor then disappear. Are you saying they come back up? Will I be able to remove the transom shield?

Thanks all.
Brian

One more thing. We just bought the boat and my wife and I had planned on camping on it for our anniversary this month. Can I run the boat with no tilt until I get it fixed or are the rams required for additional support for the outdrive? I am aware that I have to raise the outdrive before pulling the boat out of the water.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

How can I tell if it is a saltwater use package. I grew up at the coast now I live inland. I am used to everything being equipped for saltwater use.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

One more thing. We just bought the boat and my wife and I had planned on camping on it for our anniversary this month. Can I run the boat with no tilt until I get it fixed or are the rams required for additional support for the outdrive? I am aware that I have to raise the outdrive before pulling the boat out of the water.

Ayuh,... I wouldn't,... But,... It's Your barge, you can do Anything ya Want....

It probably won't plane off,...
It'll get More water into the hyd. system...
And, you'll be more apt to run aground....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

can you post some pictures of the outdrive and engine?
the cobra trim manifold is above the drive shaft and the mercruiser manifold is at the base of the shield,under the motor.
serial and model numbers will help as well.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice

I will deffinately post some pics tonight along with model and serial numbers.

Thanks for all your help.

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses.....Pics

Re: '86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses.....Pics

You're right, that is the manifold. I found it tonight. I also think I found a way to get to it from the inside to replace the leaky hose and its twin. I'm just not sure if I can remove the part that's in the way or if I can successfully fish the lines through to the manifold without removing the engine. That is a costly proposition, so I think I'm gonna try if you guy's think I can remove this hose. I don't understand why they made the hoses so long. There is a much shorter and easier route.

Pic2.jpg

Pic1.jpg

Pic3.jpg

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses.....Pics Included

Re: '86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses.....Pics Included

Does anyone know what the hose in the second picture is and what I have to do to remove it. Can anyone tell me if I can remove the bolt in the third picture or will I cause serious problems in remounting?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

bcronk09

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '86 OMC 3.0 Leaky Trim Hoses......Pics included!

Ok, I figured out from the parts breakdowns that the tube I need to remove is part of the cooling system and behind the bracket witht the two bolts should be a bushing. I should be able to remove the two bolts and the hose should come right out. What I don't know is the hose full of water and if it is do I have to do anything special when I put it back together, like fill it with water to prime it or anything?

61, 69 and 67 from the first link along with the hose (31) from the second link, are the parts restricting access to the manifold that need to be removed.

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...7,135,136,200,201,202,140,204,205,206,144,207

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...7,135,136,200,201,202,140,204,205,206,144,207

Bondo

Staff member

What I don't know is the hose full of water and if it is do I have to do anything special when I put it back together, like fill it with water to prime it or anything?

Ayuh,... It's just the hose from the impeller pump... No worries, pull it outa ya way...

LR28

Cadet

I just replaced my lines today, have fun with it. When all is said and done it's really not that bad. Like another poster said I got an 11mm deep socket, cut a slot out so it fits over the line and then cut out about half the circumference of the socket down most of the length. It kinda looks like a long crows foot or if you've ever seen an aviation cylinder wrench it looks like one of those too. I did find that if I shined a light and looked straight through the hole in the shift cable bracket on the back of the engine it helped a lot to see exactly what was going on.

Also, leave the motor end of the line disconnected so that you can contort it however you need to line it up. Make sure you don't have an o-ring left in the manifold hole prior to trying to insert the new line. I had an 11mm combination wrench laying around that had been ground down on the open end to about paper thin. I bent it to about a 70 degree angle and this helped tremendously to get the new lines started the first couple threads.

I highly recommend that you have a flexible magnet handy cause if you drop your socket then you're gonna have to fish it out. This is about a two hour job and can be done without any disassembly (4 cyl), just some frustration and patience.