86 larson

Lcp-angler

Cadet
hi guys i have a 1986 larson 215 delta conic. it has a mercruiser 305 200hp in it. i traded a raptor 660 quad for it this spring. it runs amazing and is perfect setup for what i am doing with the boat. when i got it it had a slight drip into the transom found one through bolt loose at fixed that drip. also the temp sensor was not reading ended up he had the wrong sending unit in easy fix. i have a few other things i am trying to figure out now. 1). added the missing trim tab anode to help with the steering pulling. it did seem to help but not a complete fix. the boat has a power steering i have never had power steering on any of my past boats. how easy should it steer t seems stiff? also the trim tab is adjusted all the way left and the boat still has a slight left pull? 2). previous owner ran 10w-30 motor oil boat originally used straight 30w but the marina advised me to use 25w-40 so i will give it a shot. currently my oil pressure at cold start is about 40psi once warmed up it is about 25-30 under load at idle 600rpm it drops to about 10psi? could the off spec oil be an issue as soon as i get to about 7-800 rpm oil pressure goes up to about 20psi not under load. 3).i have auto trim tabs that came on the boat when i got it. i picked up a whale tail at a yard sale because it was 10$. i tried out the whale tail seemed to make it feel like it was not turning as sharply when planed out. i am more than satisfied whith how fast i plane out without the tail are there any other added benefits to having it on? should it improve or decrease handling?

thanks for any help i have done some research on these question but haven't found what i was looking for i will keep looking too.
sorry fro how long winded that was if i need to be more clear or specific on any questions please let me know.
thanks justin

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi, a couple of things... I think the "Delta Conic" is a term that refers to the hull design; it is not the model name (my Larson 186 SEI also has a Delta-Conic sticker). If you can figure out the actal model name (e.g., Senza, Cabrio, SEI, etc.) you will have an easier time finding other users who have the same or similar boats.

Lose the whaletail.You are better off with only the tabs.

Power steering should not be stiff; should be similar to a pickup truck with power steering (or maybe atiny bit firmer).

I'd be most concerned about the loose through bolt in the transom, especially if it caused a drip. Have you thoroughly sampled the transom core for signs of moisture or rot? What was the bolt that you tightened attached to?