'86 Four Winns Freedom 160. Yes or No?

AliJesse

Cadet
Re: '86 Four Winns Freedom 160. Yes or No?

That boat is FAR LESS than a retail condition boat.

NADA puts it at $2,215 for the boat and motor by themselves at the low retail price, meaning it needs work.

Given high boating season is now...do you want to go boating or resto? Seems like a resto would have been a good winter project. There are plenty of sea worthy, turn key older boats for sale in MN for small budgets. Between kids sports, working, rain days, grad parties, sick days, church, more kids sports, camps, and and on and on, our MN boating season is short enough that a full resto, during the season is a big committment.

I have no problem doing the work the rest of the season and then I will have a boat for next season. It is not like I can't use my parent's Lund or pontoon whenever I want, but that is a bit of a drive to get there. I am still looking at other boats. I haven't been sold on this one yet, but the possibilities for it are enticing. There are some must haves, which includes swivel seats.

http://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/3021449077.html
NADA shows average retail at $1,170 and that includes the motor and trailer. I don't think I would go as high as he is asking.

http://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/3006258867.html
This one may be promising and I am assuming that he is asking $2500 not $25000.

I would go for the Blue Finn over the Star Craft any day. Blue Finn is more my style. Guess that is why I like this Four Winns, it is like they have the best of both worlds.

rickryder

Commander

I like the Starcraft with the new power but it is a 1978 hull......It could have serious rot problems in the stringers and transom with its age.

What ever you decide we will be here to help you get her in tip top shape ;)

jkust

Rear Admiral

I like the Lund and it's amazing how contemporary the hull looks until you see the inside. I'd swear it looks like it hasn't ever been remodeled. I presume you are in Duluth then?

AliJesse

Cadet

I like the Lund and it's amazing how contemporary the hull looks until you see the inside. I'd swear it looks like it hasn't ever been remodeled. I presume you are in Duluth then?

That is correct :)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Im just butten in here..... But the four winds needs alot of work from the pics.... and that an't even counting if it needs new bellows, gimmble bearing, u-joints and defentaly a impeller change. Just in parts alone it's gona cost around $300.00 and thats you doing the labor. Tops for that boat $500 to $600

So that already cuts into your budget of $800.00 or so....... I personally would stay away from that one.... Unless you have the money and alot of time to redo it. Im thinking around $3000.00 to complete it... Thats no hack job, but to do it right and have a sound worthy boat you can rely on.

As you decribed your needs for the boat..... i would look at the blue fin or the lund. But you said the lund is not to your liking.

You are going to have to decide do i want a wreck and rebuild ( May take 2 years ) or do up my expense and buy better!

Good Luck!

AliJesse

Cadet

Im just butten in here..... But the four winds needs alot of work from the pics.... and that an't even counting if it needs new bellows, gimmble bearing, u-joints and defentaly a impeller change. Just in parts alone it's gona cost around $300.00 and thats you doing the labor. Tops for that boat $500 to $600

So that already cuts into your budget of $800.00 or so....... I personally would stay away from that one.... Unless you have the money and alot of time to redo it. Im thinking around $3000.00 to complete it... Thats no hack job, but to do it right and have a sound worthy boat you can rely on.

As you decribed your needs for the boat..... i would look at the blue fin or the lund. But you said the lund is not to your liking.

You are going to have to decide do i want a wreck and rebuild ( May take 2 years ) or do up my expense and buy better!

Good Luck!

It may cost $3,000 or could be less. $800 is around the minimum I am assuming it would take to replace the deck and carpet, including what it below that is rotten. Seats and everything else is good. Still haven't checked the motor yet, waiting to hear back from the guy about the water test. Got many ideas for that boat and will be doing it over the course of a couple years no doubt. My main concern is the cost of replacing the deck and carpet. Everything else is gravy :) May I ask how you can tell the impeller needs to be replaced?

rickryder

Commander

I'll answer that impeller question..... We change them every year or so as a maintenance thing. It's money well spent to insure you won't overheat your motor ;)

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

that motor has not run in a while, trust me. the wiring looks old and shot, alternator is rusted, along with the pulley for the water pump, thermostat housing and main hook to pull the beast out.

also, the ski locker loaded with junk is a BAD sign.............water has been running through there for a while............also noticed water in the bilge on the starbnoard side of the engine............. i am almost going to take a stab here and say, stringers and possibly a transom replacement looks like in order.
here is what you can do, take out a couple of screws out of the transom,from say the trim plates, depth finder or such.

one: if water leaks out, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!:facepalm:
two: if there is no 4200 or 5200 caulking on the screw, meaning it was not properly installed in the first place, RUN even faster...........:eek:

and if none of this scares you, trust me, we are one hardy bunch, like everyone has said, we will be here to help in any way possible .........

good luck either way

and welcome to the IBoats forum, all aboard :)

AliJesse

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. The water in the boat had me worried a little anyway. We will definitely do a check with the screws. Luckily, the guy doesn't live where the boat is and we know the people renting the property so we don't have to have him hovering.