86 Evinrude driveshaft & gearshift rod seals

fishtails

Cadet
Hi Everyone,
I have dropped the lower unit on a 1986 Evinrude 50 HP M/N E50TLCDE to replace the impeller, but when I drained the LU I noticed a small amount of water in the gearcase oil. I would like to replace the driveshaft and gearshift rod seals while I have the LU off. The seal housings are both bolt on, so it looks simple enough to do, but the manual lists steps to take out the propeller shaft bearing and a bunch of other parts from the gearcase before the seal housings are removed, which I can not get into because of all the special tools required. In the links below the items I want to remove are #42 & #50. Here is the link to my gearcase and my questions:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1986/E50TLCDE 1986/GEARCASE/parts.html

1. Does anyone know if it is okay to remove the seal housings without first removing the prop shaft and other items?
2. Can the seals be replaced once these are off without any special tools or does anyone know where to get OMC bearing and seal removal tool p/n 391259 or OMC seal installer p/n 326549?
3. Is just a regular tire air fitting used to pressure test the lower unit and does anyone know what thread size the fitting is?

Thanks ahead of time for any help / advice given!

Last edited:

fishtails

Cadet
Re: 86 Evinrude driveshaft & gearshift rod seals

Progress update: gearshift rod cover comes off no problem. Funny thing is the number stamped on this part does not match what I am seeing on any of the part supplies sites. The gearshift rod cover part number on my engine is 321068 and all the sites I have checked list part number 387336. Maybe I got an older LU with the motor when I bought it. Anyway if anyone has removed the driveshaft cover and replaced the drive shaft seals on any similar size (35 to 55 HP) motors close to the year I have (1986), I sure would appreciate any advice / tips on getting this done or if can be done w/o special tools! TIA