86 Evinrude 120 vro pump & stalling

Cudos

Seaman
Just wondering if a faulty VRO could cause stalling when coming off full throttle or throttling up too slowly. Seems to crap out around 2500-3000 rpm. Hates to run at mid throttle and always stalls if left too long. Other than carbs and timing "could" the VRO be the culprit?

Thanks

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 86 Evinrude 120 vro pump & stalling

Considering it will run full throttle this sounds more like a carburetor issue. You'd think that if the VRO pump is capable of delivering WOT fuel then it's capable of delivering 2500rpm fuel. When is the last time you cleaned the carbs and put in new kits? Checked the numbers on the jets and air bleed orifices against shop2.evinrude.com? and is this a new problem or did you just buy it with this problem?

Cudos

Seaman

Thank-You , i bought the boat with this problem, I have not done the carbs. The reason I ask it that last season the motor caught on fire, ins paid for the repair, all new wiring and electrical including a new VRO. I was hoping that the new VRO would take care of the stalling problem I had before the fire. I haven't had the boat out yet but I guess I'll see,. I will have the carbs done next of the problem remains.

Thank-You

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

uhh take the carbs off and install new kits in them before you take it out again. they were probably the source of the fuel for the fire. fuel leakage is very common symptom of carbs in need of a rebuild or with floats improperly adjusted or both.

Also, what are you talking about hope it would stop stalling with the new VRO from insurance?? It ran perfectly before the fire! ;)

James R

Commander

Not just a matter of installing new kits. The carbs must be stripped and thoroughly cleaned. Soak them in Gunk Carb and parts cleaner, rinse with water and blow clean with compressed air. Carefully scrape any heavy deposits and run wires through the tiny drillings. May need to soak twice if real bad. Remember if a carb is not performing,the cylinder will not get lubrication and bang! goes you motor.