'86 dt 150 won't idle

falling

Cadet
Hi I have an 86 suzuki dt150 that I am trying to return to the lake after transmission problems.<br />after all other repairs were finished the motor ran fine on muffs however I was still installing new toys on the rest of the boat. I got the boat on the water a few days ago and the motor would not start. I started it on muffs about a month ago. back home it still wouldn't start even on muffs. I finally got it to start with a little starting fluid but I had to put use the fast idle. After warming it up some I reduced the idle and it sputtered and died immediatly.<br /><br />RECAP: motor ran 1 month ago on muffs. New fuel. can start using fast idle and starting fluid. Dies when throtle is reduced to normal. pls Help.

falling

Cadet
Re: '86 dt 150 won't idle

Ok will do they were near spotless last year when rebuilt them. I was looking online at parts and found the starter valve. Does anyone know what it does and how often it needs repaired, I couldn't find it in my repaire manual.

spego

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the address for the manual. I bought one of these manuals and it is worth the money.<br /><br /> Browns Point<br /><br />The starter valve is the choke assembly. When you push the key in a solenoid pulls back a valve and allows gas into the cylinders to start it. Browns Point will tell you the correct starting procedure is to hold the key in for at least 10 seconds on these old Suzukis before even trying to start it. It does work. Min I have to pump up the bulb hold the key in and start it and if it stalls I will pump it up again....hold the key in again for 10 sec and start it again. Its starts right up. You may have another issue there I am not sure though. You want to make sure it is getting gas (after going all of the above check the plugs to see if they are wet). You should hear the gas going into the carbs when you pump it up too....there will be a spraying sound. Let me know how you make out and if I can be any help.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

I agree with spego ... try that, you can also choke it manually if your key choke doesn't work ......