86 50hp no fire wireing problem????

metor99

Seaman
Hi
I bought a 50hp force 1986 I was told it was running great. I?m replacing a 1986 35hp force. The problem is converting the wires over from a 35hp wiring harness to use on a 50hp force. This is how it breaks down.
35hp harness that is connected to the boat and works with the motor
Start- yellow
Tachometer- purple
Magneto- white
Choke- green
Heat- orange
Battery- red
Magneto- blue
Ground- black

The problem converting to a 86 50hp force on motor wires
Start- yellow
Generator- purple
Tachometer- white
Choke- green
Heat- orange
Battery- red
Ignition- blue
Ground- black

metor99

Seaman
Re: 86 50hp no fire wireing problem????

Also does this motor need a battery to run? Can i remove the wires from the wireing block on the motor and still start the moter with a pull rope.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

dose your boat have a tach??? if not dont worry about it. Hear a basic wiring pic.

Attachments

• 75-85Motorola.jpg
    75-85Motorola.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1

metor99

Seaman

No I dont have a tach. What i am trying to do is use my 1986 35hp wireing harness on my 1986 50hp that i just bought. but something is wrong. no fire

metor99

Seaman

Come on where are all the wireing guys at. I cant afford to go to a boat mechanic. I just checked the compression and it is running 120 psi on both cylinders

metor99

Seaman

Here is the wireing pics

first pic is 1986 35 hp old motor

second pic is wires to be attached

third is 1986 50hp to be connected

Attachments

• 1298a1.jpg
    1298a1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0
  • 1296a.jpg
    1296a.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 12931.jpg
    Picture 12931.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0

metor99

Seaman

I have found several wireing diagrams and tried several different combos of wireing. i dont know if i got TAKEN when i bought the motor. I was told it was running good. I am in the process of buying a repair manual. Anyone know the cheapest place. The book should have the trouble shooting steps i hope. I can rebuild this motor in my sleep but wireing issues kill me. Any help with the wireing issue or pics of another motor like mine showing the wireing block would be great.

pipestone guy

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Meteor99. I'll take a shot at helping ( I hope ). My Seloc manual shows the wires hooked up differently on the starter switch. The 35 HP appears to be a CD ignition, while the 50 HP is magneto. What I would suggest to do is try starting it without using the switch, see if that works.

metor99

Seaman

Hi
What wires if any need to be hooked up to use a pull rope?

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Put the 2 blues from the coils on the blue screw. Purple wire from rectifier to generator screw. Dont worry about the purple if you don't have a tach. Trace the white tachometer wire under the dash and see where it goes. If it goes to the ignition switch then take the solid white wire from the points area and the solid white wire from the coil (looks like there's only 1 coil with the solid white wire) and put them both on the white tachometer screw. You can use the purple under the dash for the tach if you have one. If that doesn't work then check for spark. Check points and test ignition switch. Hopefully i'm right. Take another picture once it's all hooked up and give a good view of where the wires are hooked up and where they are going.

metor99

Seaman

This is the way the wires were hooked up on my 86 35 hp and everything works this way.

Start- yellow
Tachometer- purple
Magneto- white
Choke- green
Heat- orange
Battery- red
Magneto- blue
Ground- black

Now with the new 86 50hp the wireing block on the motor reads like this, and is different from the old 35hp

Start-
Generator-
Tachometer-
Choke-
Heat-
Battery-
Ignition-
Ground-

The key switch is hooked up like this and also worked with the 86 35hp:

m- white
m-blue
s-yellow
c-green
b-red

Nordin

Commander

Looked at your pics and the 35Hp seem to be a magneto CDI ignition and the 50Hp is a battery igition.
To have spark on the 50Hp you must feed the ignition with 12VDC from the battery.

50Hp wireing engine connetionblock

yellow start
purple charge indication (lamp)
white tach
green choke
blue ign.
red battery
black ground

50Hp keyswitch

yellow S start
green C choke
red B battery
blue I ignition

The keyswitch feed the coils with 12VDC from red (B) to blue (I) in start and runingpossision. When you turn off the key the switch break the ignitioncurcuit to the coils and the engine stops.

metor99

Seaman

IT runs IT runs well not very good. it has a miss and i have to keep choking it to run. but it RUNS. Atleast now i can start the fine adjustments.

The blue wire in the key switch was the problem It was hooked to (m)
not (I)

TY for everyones help
now on to the next problem
why do i have to keep choking it

Nordin

Commander

Clean the carb, set the flot parallel to the edge of the carbcupesurface.
Set the idlescrew 1 and 1/4 turn ut from the bottom. This is the startset, then you have to do the fineadjustment.