'86 4.3L OMC Stringerdrive runs to almost 200°

I bought an '86 4.3L 4-Barrel with OMC Stringerdrive. Has new 170° thermostat, impeller was replaced 12 hours ago I am told...just installed new Marine water pump on block...starts fine...sounds fine...not dripping water like a freeze plug issue...fire it up...runs straight towards 194° ( 9C on gauge) within 4 minutes...so I shut it down...always garaged...only 488 hours on boat...maybe pull impeller to see if it crapped out?? I need advice...should I let it tap that 200° line...does it need to run up, before thermostat opens using Muffs???...if I pull lower unit to check/replace impeller...is there a good video online for impeller replacement on Stringerdrives?? Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• 20230527_155747.jpg
    20230527_155747.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230527_160118.jpg
    20230527_160118.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230527_160127.jpg
    20230527_160127.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I personally have never replaced an impeller on those drives. I do know the impeller is big and floppy and rarely fails

I would question first the installation, then inspect for blockages in the cooling system, mainly between the pump and t stat housing. Is there any water coming out the exhaust, outside the boat?

I'm quite sure the thermostat for those engines is most likely a 140 degree, not 170

With Muff hose on...hard to tell if exhaust water is hitting ground...i saw a completely unrelated thread...where they checked hose coming FROM impeller to motor...i will check that tomorrow....
Thanks Dubs

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pull the drive apart.

Buy a complete new raw water pump assembly

Grease the pivot shaft

Replace the now burned exhaust rubber bits

I bought an '86 4.3L 4-Barrel with OMC Stringerdrive. Has new 170° thermostat, impeller was replaced 12 hours ago I am told...just installed new Marine water pump on block...starts fine...sounds fine...not dripping water like a freeze plug issue...fire it up...runs straight towards 194° ( 9C on gauge) within 4 minutes...so I shut it down...always garaged...only 488 hours on boat...maybe pull impeller to see if it crapped out?? I need advice...should I let it tap that 200° line...does it need to run up, before thermostat opens using Muffs???...if I pull lower unit to check/replace impeller...is there a good video online for impeller replacement on Stringerdrives?? Thanks in advance!!!
UPDATE:
I can't figure out editing....so...
IT'S FIXED!!! Replaced impeller that was smoked...replaced engine water pump (don't know if it needed it)...still ran straight up near 200°...replaced thermostat previous owner said was new...NOT!!!...and backed it down ramp still on trailer at Wimpy's...fired it up...gauge crept to just east of 160° on gauge...and just stayed there...
🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳....
Pulling lower unit to R&R impeller in bottom of upper unit was tedious...but a pro-mechanic bud mastered it....HOWEVER...a HUGE shout-out to Kenny Nunez who helped us out every step of the way...could NOT have done it without his knowledge and answering our stupid questions & pointing us in the right direction....THANKS KENNY!!! You ROCK!!!!...Shout-out to iboats...great forum....Thank you to all who offered advice...
Gnite...Mike 😎
🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳😎

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
OMC used a 160* thermostat so that’s just about right.
I have those same Medallion gauges and they all still work. 75* C (top scale of numbers) is about 170. Mine never goes over 175 (80*C) as long as all is well.
Replace your impeller every 3 seasons and you should be good.

Last edited: