85hp Rebuilt - Difficult to Turn Over

HowlinGale

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
12
Hi Guys,

I've rebuilt my Force 85hp (1989). Basically everything stripped down and put back together, including having #2 cylinder re-bored and replacing the piston and honing all cylinders. It's been a project and taken quite a while. I got to the position of turning her over for the first time today. The starter motor can't get her spinning, it tries and gets a short way and stops again - go, stop, go, stop - as if there was something sticking.

New starter motor and fully charged battery.
Tried direct connection from battery to starter to see if there may be a bad connection. Same problem.

There seems to be a lot of compression and takes quite an effort to turn her over using a wrench on the flywheel nut.

Removed the spark plugs and she spins over just great. Put in one plug and it turned over but a good bit slower, as I'd expect (with some compression being present). Tried 2 plugs and that resulted in the original problem re-occuring.

Anyone got any ideas/advice? Could I have done something wrong in the rebuild resulting in too much compression - I'm thinking exhaust ports or similar?
 

foodfisher

Captain
Joined
Feb 18, 2009
Messages
3,756
Re: 85hp Rebuilt - Difficult to Turn Over

Load test battery, clean wiring connections, inspect/clean starter.
 

HowlinGale

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
12
Re: 85hp Rebuilt - Difficult to Turn Over

Load test battery, clean wiring connections, inspect/clean starter.

Thanks Foodfisher. I should have done this right away but thinking that the starter motor was new and the battery had a fresh charge I ignored it. Doh! Battery is no good. New battery bought today and the engine turns over fine now.
 
Top