85hp merc, pwr head stuck to exhaust housing

hereto

Seaman
Hi all,
I have a 1976 Merc 85hp which is mounted on my boat transom and I am preparing to replace the power head with another I have acquired. I am going to just lift out the power head with the help of a friend, will not be using a hoist as the power head is not that heavy.
Now, here is where I am so far. I have the power head stripped completely, every thing off and disconnected that needs to be, including the 8 nuts holding the power head to the exhaust housing. The power head doesn?t want to budge from the exhaust housing. I am assuming it is being held fast by the gasket. I have not applied any force, or tried to pry anywhere for fear of causing some damage. So I would sure appreciate some guidance.

Thanks much
hereto

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85hp merc, pwr head stuck to exhaust housing

Did you get the two powerhead nuts in the front of the motor? They are kinds under the carbs, and will only unbolt about 1/2 way, until you lift the powerhead 1/2 inch. Look on the replacement powerhead for the short studs in the front of the motor.

hereto

Seaman

Yes, I have the nuts loose on the 2 short studs along with the other 6 on the long studs. I'm sure I have them all loose. As a matter of fact I was looking at the short studs as a place I could get under with a pry bar, but thought better of it as they are so far off center.
Like I said, I haven't applied force anywhere yet, is it time ? if so where?

hereto

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I usually rock the powerhead side to side with my hands to break it loose from the gaskets. Are you sure you do not want to use a hoist of some kind? You do not need a very good one since the block is light, but it is clumbsy and the motor is pretty tall.

I put a 1/2" lag bolt in my garage door header and used the lousiest black and tackle to pull the powerhead. The B&T was a PIA, but it was too wimpy to break anything, which was good.

hereto

Seaman

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the comeback, I will give it a shot this weekend as far as rocking the power head side to side. I have an old come along so I think I will also try using the lag bolt in the garage header as you suggested it will make for an easier pull. Thanks again for the come back.

Hereto

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can also put a nut on the center side powerhead stud and pry a bit on it against the midsection.