85hp force ignition question

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone out there familiar with the prestolite ignition on 1985 85hp force models. I was checking mine out with the wiring break down in my Clymer manual and noticed a discrency. Not sure if it is on Clymer's end or if my cd module for the #3 cylinder was wired incorrectly from the factory.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85hp force ignition question

I doubt that it would've been wired incorrectly and nobody noticed a problem in 22 years. Aftermarket manuals are good general references, but specifics can be confusing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What is the problem?

Nate3172

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On page 67 in my manual, in case anyone happens to have the same one, the wiring for the #3 ignition module shows as follows. The orange wire is connected to the white wire on the coil. The red goes to nothing. The blue dead ends at the plug with the yellow to the stator. The red and the white/green wire dead end at the plug going to trigger housing. The orange and green wire go all the way through plug to trigger housing.

Now, this is how mine is actually wired from the factory.

The red is connected to the white wire on the coil. The orange goes to nothing. The blue still dead ends at the plug with the yellow wire that goes to the stator. The red and the white/green wire run through plug all the way to the stator. The orange and green wire dead end at the plug going to trigger housing.

I know that this system is the exact same as the 4 cylinder models. The only differance is the trigger housing and the wires that are suppose to be used for the second side of the cd module and the 4th coil are un-used. So basically my cd module is using the wires that would be for the fourth cylinder if there was one except the blue and yellow wires are not. It shows the blue wire for the cd module dead ending, which it is, but that is for the fourth cylinder. So, does it make a differance to have the cd module wired on 4 cyl. operating #3 coil without the blue wire connected. The yellow wire shows being in relation for the cd module to be wired the way it is suppose to be. Confusing, I know. But what effect can it have if your using the yellow wire with the cd module wired as if it were firing #4 on a 4 banger but is actually hooked to #3?