85HP Crank Timing Question

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All, Had to replace one of the plastic ends on my timing adjustment, it had split. So I did both ends and am working through the link & sync in Clymers and got to Crank Timing. I've pulled the plugs and grounded the wires, jumped the neutral switchand moved the throttle to WOT. Hooked up two different timing lights and can't get either one to flash. I've been through the setups over and over and no luck. Any suggestions as to where I may be going wrong? Thanks O.T.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 85HP Crank Timing Question

Make sure your Kill switch (if you have one, most boats do) is engaged just like it is normally when you run the motor.

I assume you are using the ignition switch to crank the motor over?

If you're not using the ignition switch and are using a jumper across the starter solenoid, make sure the ignition switch is in the "On" or "Run" position.

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi, Yes I'm using the ignition switch and the kill switch is engaged. Being from an automotive background I have to ask this question. Is there a way to adjust timing at idle? I'm not sure why I wasn't getting a flash during crank. I did put it all back together and was able to get it adjusted close enough so it runs smooth at idle. Maybe I was so far off during crank mode that it wouldn't register a flash? Now that I have it running at idle I think I should try it again. What do you think? O.T.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Ok, I think I know what may be happening. When you ground the ignition system, leave the number one plug wire connected to the spark plug and ground the plug to the block. In order to trigger the timing light, the spark has to build up enough energy to jump the gap. If you ground the plug wire directly to the block, it never builds up enough energy to trigger the light.

You should check the timing at WOT because that's where it's most critical. It really doesn't take much to generate enough heat to burn a piston. Timing at WOT is very important to prevent a damaged piston.

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi, Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. Once I finish the link & sync I'll go to the river and check it at WOT. Dangerous but the only method I have access to. O.T.