85H Force OB lower unit oil

jrlogan11

Seaman
Trying to change the lower unit oil on my 85horse Force outboard. Seloc manual says use quality SAE 90W hypoid gear oil. My local wal-mart is about the only place I have to buy this stuff, and this is what they have:<br /><br />"Super Tech 80W-90 GL-5 gear lubricant.<br />Multipurpose, extreme pressure (EP) gear lubricant to be used where API GL-5 lubricants are recommended for makeup or refill of manual shift transmissions, conventional differentials, rear axles and steering gear boxes as found in passenger cars, trucks and farm tractors. CAn be used for makeup of limited slip/positive traction rear axles. Protects against rust, foam, high temperature and corrosion of copper or bronze bushings.<br />Recommend where API GL-5, API MT-1, MIL-PRF-2105E or MACK GO-J are specified."<br /><br />1. Now, it doesn't say anything about hypoid, but my understanding is that hypoid describes the type of gear, and hypoid gears really just require an extreme pressure oil (EP), which it does say. Is this ok?<br />2. It also doesn't say anything about marine, but does this matter? Oil is oil right? It's all water resistant by necessity, yeah?<br />3. I checked at an autozone, and they had a similar oil that said it was hypoid, but also not specified as marine. Would this be better?<br /><br />I definitely don't want to put in the wrong oil. Somebody who really knows oil, please clue me in. Should I just order some oil on the internet or will what I have work just fine?

M

Mod3

Re: 85H Force OB lower unit oil

You should be able to get the oil you need at WalMart, in the sporting goods department. Most of the products on the market today don't say "hypoid" on them anymore. But do specify for lower unit use.

jrlogan11

Seaman

So is there a difference between marine oil and oil not labeled marine?<br />In other words, 80W-90 GL-5 marine vs 80W-90 GL-5? Is there some kind of additive that makes it 'marine'?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Marine grade oil will not foam up, which is what will happen with other oils, when--not if-- some water gets into the lower unit.<br /><br />You can get the oil you need from any Mercury dealer, or any other outboard motor dealer. Or you can get it at most places that sell marine supplies. Even some gas stations have it. <br /><br />There are really only 2 kinds of lower unit oil. Type "C", for early '70's and older motors that specify its use. The other is sold as lower unit oil. You definitely want to use oil that is recommended for marine lower units.

jrlogan11

Seaman

Thanks! Sorry about the delay. I forgot to check back and see if anybody replied to my challenge :^) That was exactly what I needed to know.