850 mercury charging problem

hereto

Seaman
I have a 1977 mercury 850 with ADI ignition. With the engine not running I get 12.5 volts at the battery. with the engine running I am now getting 13.2 volts at approx. 1500 rpms. I remember checking the voltage with engine running before and was getting something a bit over 14 volts. My tach does still work, can I rule out the rectifier? I have checked the battery with a hydrometer and it looks good, plan on having it tested with a load tomorrow.

Would greatly appreciate some help as what to check next. Thanks in advance.

hereto

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 850 mercury charging problem

Sounds like its working as designed, the more the battery is charged the less the output as the battery is the regulator in this system.

hereto

Seaman
Re: 850 mercury charging problem

Hi again all,
I found a simple test proceedure for checking the rectifier. My rectifier checked out bad ( both AC posts open ).
I replaced the rectifier with a Radio Shack rectifier that I had read about on this forum. My battery used to read around
14V with the engine running at 1500 rpms and the battery fully charged. After the rectifier died I was only getting 13.2
volts at 1500 RPM , now with the RS rectifier I am seeing 13.9 volts at same RPM ( actually don't see why I was getting
over 12.6 volts with the bad rectifier), but the problem seems to be solved. Hope this may help someone else out there.

hereto