850 mercury 1975 thermostat?

I just bought a 1975 85 hp mercury started right up was very surprised but noticed that tje water coming out of the tell tell outlet was hotter than it should be is there a thermostat and shouldn't there be water coming out of upper exhaust as well

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 850 mercury 1975 thermostat?

If the engine has been sitting more than a year without use, time for a impeller change. 18-3017 Serria. No thermostat on this engine.

I've been bringing the same engine back to life during the past month. Mine is on a stand and with muffs on I haven't seen any water coming out of the upper exhaust at idle (if you meen just below the power head.

Tom on Buckeye Lake

who do you buy your parts from parts seem hard to find for that engine and thanks for that information that's what I had read on the internet

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Better to get the 18-3217 as it has all the gaskets and new wear plate and impeller...

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

two rectangular slots should spit water at idle.there is no thermostat but some of those older mercs are eqiped with pressure gauge attatched to t-connector on front of water jacket.pressure should be 5-8 psi.pee hole should have 1/8" diameter and have steady stream.impeller change is fairly easy task and you will find a primo guidence here in forums.there is plenty of sites to order your parts,just have your serial #handy.
your clean piston is a sighn of water intrussion taken that it is shinny same as swpark plug...or maybe previous owner changed piston?????115 psi is low for a new piston and rings thou.how do you tell that bottom cylinder is not getting fuel?

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes,those are correct #'s.pardon my previous thread

Okay thanks for the help im hopefully gonna get some time to work on it further seams that work gets most of my free time i will let ya know how it goes

M

Maxz695

My 1979 70 has 1 tube going to the TT and 1 tube going to the exhast base plate. The water coming out of the back 2 holes of the midsection (Rear exhaust midsection port) are cool and the water coming out of the TT is more than warm. Because it takes time to fill the exhaust port and water jacket, it heats up, and maintains that temp through the TT. If it,s hotter than it should be there "may be water" seeping by the exhaust baffel gasket or corroded baffel, and into the the internal exhaust port which in turn lets exhaust gases into the water in the water jacket superheating the circulating water which would also mean you would have water intrusion into your engne block by suction of the piston ( Usually the lowest one). Not good. I took mine off and as a result did a total tear down of the engine revealing 1 damaged piston 1 ground Crankshaft journal a set of needle bearings that where half there normal size, as well as wrist pins and the bearings there even worse.There is NO thermostat on my engine, None! and no place for one I can see. I would get gaskets and inspect the exhaust port, and exhaust baffle plate then check the piston walls for corrosion through the prots, and if ok I would replace it with new gaskets then re torque and re check the water tempature. If there is no water coming out of the exhaust midsection port check the upper out let of the water jacket (To TT) also check the water tube coming from the Fuel pump this one goes to the exhaust baseplate and then to exhaust midsection port. Disconnect the hose and see if there is water flow. If not you may have a totally blocked section in the motor or fuel pump water tube is clogged. I would not rule out the exhuast block base plate gasket for corrosion buildup or leaking gasket. Anyone owning an older engine should check this and for the price of a couple of gaskets save there engine, Take about 1 hour to do