85 Mercury XD 18 problem info

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone...I wanted to let everyone in on what I discovered on my motor. My original symptoms were that the motor would start when out of the water and would immediately die when place in the water. Another symptom was that when I'd pump the prime bulb, it would never get stiff. Because we had been experiencing intermittent periods of lack of pep from the motor, we thought we may have had an electrical issue that was causing the motor to die when placed in the water. (Yeah, I know...now in retrospect...what a stupid idea) Tonight I took the carb off and disassembled it. Low and behold, I think I have found our problem. The carb float was 80% full of gasoline. That would explain both of my problems. With the carb float full, it would never rise when the bowl is full. The needle valve would never seat and any further pumping of the bulb would only cause gasoline to leak into the motor/out of the carb. Next, because the carb float basically works off of gravity, when the motor was pulled up, it cheated the float. I'll be travelling to my local Mercury parts dealer tomorrow to purchase a new float and I'm quite certain we'll be back in business.

As for the intermittent performance issue, I still suspect a marginal switch box. Laddies sent me a procedure on how to test it, but due to carb issue, I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

If anyone sees anything wrong with my above explanation, feel free to call me on it. I'm not saying its the gospel, but it sure sounds logical to me.