85 hp Johnson v4 no spark on 2 cyl's

viper44

Cadet
I have a 1975 85 hp v4 Johnson and there's no spark on cyl's 1 and 3. I replaced the ignition coils for cyl's 1 & 3 and still no spark. Cyl's 2&4 have strong spark and motor will start on those 2 cyl's.<br />Looking for suggestions on further simple tests to do to further troubleshoot the problem. I am thinking there may be a problem with the sensor coil that powers 1&3<br />If you've had or heard of such a problem, I'd appreciate a response.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85 hp Johnson v4 no spark on 2 cyl's

You can do a quick static check of the sensor coils with an Ohmeter they should measure 8.5 Ohms +/- 2 Ohms. Also they sould be electrically isolated from ground (the block). Terminals 9 & 12 on the power pack should be the sensor inputs for 1 & 3. Disconnect them prior to measurement.<br /><br />Another thing you can do is swap the sensors for test purposes. If you swap the sensors and your spark comes alive on 1 & 4 you've most likely located the problem. BTW terminals 2 & 4 of the pack are the sensor input for triggering clyinders 2 & 4.

viper44

Cadet

I just finished doing the tests McGR suggested:<br />1. approx 10 ohms between sensor coil for cyl's 2&4, 0 ohms between sensor coils for cyl's 1&3<br />2. switched the sensor coil leads on power pack so sensor leads 2/4 connected to power pack sites for sensor coils 1/3. Now good spark on plugs 1%3 and no spark on 2&4<br />3. replaced all sensor leads back to proper locations on power pack and origional problem duplicated - no spark on 1&3.<br />4. also checked and good continuity from each sensor lead end to respective posts on the back of the sensor coils.<br /><br />Does anyone have any further suggestions for additional tests before I purchase a timer base assy ?<br />Does anyone know of a good used parts dealer in Ontario, Can.?

McGR

Wow, I surpised myself, we actually hit the nail on the head on the first try. You may try eBay for a used timer base. I see them regularly there. In fact I just checked for you and there is one reasonably priced unit with a fairly low buy it now. Here's the link hopefully somebody wont beat you to it:<br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=4557320063&category=26455&sspagename=WDVW

viper44

Cadet

Hey McGR<br />Just installed new (used) timer base and all is well.<br />Thanks for the help

Straightsman

Recruit
An old reply I know, but your information was useful to me, so this might help some one else. I have a 1977evinrude 85 hp with exactly the same problem, but possibly a different cause. Swapped the coils - no change. Swapped the sensor wires - still no change. Every thing points towards the power pack which was a second hand unit (which did work for a short time) that I bought to replace the original one which was providing no spark at all. I guess I will have to fork out for a new one this time. I just hope there is not an electrical fault causing the power pack failures.

ct1762@gmail.com

An old reply I know, but your information was useful to me, so this might help some one else. I have a 1977evinrude 85 hp with exactly the same problem, but possibly a different cause. Swapped the coils - no change. Swapped the sensor wires - still no change. Every thing points towards the power pack which was a second hand unit (which did work for a short time) that I bought to replace the original one which was providing no spark at all. I guess I will have to fork out for a new one this time. I just hope there is not an electrical fault causing the power pack failures.
just check for voltage at the kill wires (not sure if the 77' model has 2 or 1). shouldn't be any voltage with the key in the on position save for some ghost microvoltage.