85 hp force hard starting AFTER WARM UP

mrdoorguy

Cadet
Ok I Bought An 84 16' Bayliner With An 85 Hp Force Motor. Got A Good Deal On It. Its In Prtty Good Condition. It Started Up Fairly Easy, But Wasn't Pissing Water. So I Bought An Impeller Which By The Way The Sierra Part No 18-3030 Does Not Fit It, Which I Boats Said It Did. Anyways I Took It On The Lake And It Has A Little Trouble Startomg Like 3 Minutes Or So, And A Couple Of Backfires.
Once It Get It Going It Runs Great At High Rpm. So I Drive It Fr A Bit15 Minutes Or So, Fish For 30 Minutes And It Is Still Just As Hard To Start Back Up. I Changed The Thermostat Thinking Maybe It Was Staying Open And Not Really Warming Up? Does It Need A Timing Adjustment? One Other Question, Should I Be Able To Push The Button On The Shifter And Give It Gas Without Going Into Gear? Please Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated!!
Chris

jbwillis76

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 85 hp force hard starting AFTER WARM UP

OK, I don't claim to be an expert, and they will chime in for sure, but its late and I'm probably the only one up. I've just spent 2 months working on the same motor with some of the same problems so here goes. If you know some of this just skip it.

1. Get a factory or Clymer manual. you will be glad you did.

Cold start procedure is to pump fuel bulb until hard. Disengage the shifter on your control, either by button, switch, whatever, and push handle forward. You won't get wide open throttle, this should throttle the engine between 1500-2000 RPMs. Push the key in and turn to run, you should here the choke engage (cowling off you should see it engage). With key pushed in turn over motor and it should crank pretty quickly.

Now mine, even with the choke, would not start without spraying mix directly into carbs until I started playing with the choke. Make sure the choke butterflys are closing FULLY. You will have to remove the air box on the carbs by removing the 6 screws holding it on to see the butterflys. Mine looked like they were closing fully, maybe just the SLIGHTEST crack at the bottom. I loosened the choke solenoid and slid it down in its bracket just slightly (to pull the rod further) and the small crack disappeared and it has started everytime with maybe two rotations of the motor, even in 40 degree weather.

If that all checks out you might need to remove and clean the carbs making sure there is no trash in them. With fuel in the carbs, primer bulb pumped up, and choke closing fully it should crank quickly.

If you haven't already done so, replace the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump on the motor. Replace the primer bulb while you are at it. Lastly replace the fuel pump diaphram with a fuel pump rebuild kit. All that's cheap and there's no reason not to do so.

I'm assuming the compression and spark are good since you say it runs well WOT. Check your plugs making sure they all look ok. They should have a little carbon and a little gas on them. If they are tan burnt looking you may be a little lean. I was told years ago that there were no cold natured engine, just lean ones. If they look normal for a 2 stroke then you are ok, if not....On the front of your carbs, above the butterflys, there will be a screw. This is your idle mixture screw. Slowly turn it in, counting the turns, until it is lightly seated, then back back out to what it was. Factory setting was 1 1/4 turns out, and is a good place to start. Read here you never want to go any less than 3/4 turns out.

Lastly, look at the topish of the forum page, you will see a blue tool bar. on the right side, second from the end you will see search. Click search, then click advanced search. In the search page type in "85 start" or "85 starting". Click Topics only under that. On the right scroll down and click "force/chrysler forum", and at the bottom click search. That should bring up lots of post, with good answers, while you are waiting on an expert to chime in here. Then when you are bored just type in "85" in the search on the force forum. Lots of good info there.

Hope some of this helps.

James

john from md

Commander

James gave you some good advise and you should start with the search part.

The Force engines are pretty basic as a two stroke goes. Give it fuel, air and spark and they run forever, as long as all of the above are given in the right amounts at the right time.

At one point you said your engine was backfiring. Backfiring through the intake is usually a symptomof a lean fuel mixture or timing that is too advanced. This is not a good thing as ythese engines use the idle circuit as part of the high speed circuit. If you are running lean at WOT you will melt something sooner or later.

If you don't know the history of the engine, it is best to start from a base line. You should measure the compression in each cylinder, clean and adjust the carbs, check and adjust the timing if necessary and check and adjust the throttle and shift cables if necessary. Since it only takes 1/2 hr, you should change the fuel pump diaphram as well. You have already changed your impeller, have you changed your lower oil also?

Frank A. always recommends adding a fuel filter in the line between the fuel pump and carbs. This is to keep any rubber from clogging the carbs if the diaphram starts to deteriorate. I concurr with this idea and have one on mine.

With new fuel, new plugs and a baseline set up, most engines will run as if they are new again. If not, they usually respond to a little tweeking of the mixture and timing. BTW, you should set your timing at 28 degrees and not go below 1 turn out on the mixture screws no matter what the books say.

The gasoline that these engines are running now is not the same that they ran in 1985. Keep the adjustments as I have stated and, as long as there are no other issues, you should run fine for a long time.

I'm sure Frank will chime in with a few good suggestions when he wakes up. <G>

Keep us updated.

John

mrdoorguy

Cadet

ok i'll check plugs, and compression. what should the compression be? See this is where i have another problem, on my shifter there is a "neutral button" i took the shifter lever off the splines and looked at the buttom and it looks to me like you are not able to put it in gear with out pulling the button, but its broke so you can anyways. is this supposed to be so i can give it gas with out it going into gear? it seems like it needs a little bit higher idle, while at idle for a two stroke it kinda chugs. How does i set the timing to 28 degrees. i have clymer manual but i am not really that impressed with it, its lacking instructions a bit. but it does help.
thanks guys
chris

john from md

Commander

Compression should be around 120 to 135 with no more than 15# between cylinders. If it is low or you have more than 15 # split, I suggest you do a decarb and then check again afterwards. The Decarb procedure is a sticky on the home page under general info.

The idle button is so you can advance the trottle for a fast idle while still in neutral. You really need to fix that as warming up in gear is not a good way to go. Setting the idle involves timing, carb adjustment, cable adjustments and mixture adjustments. Follow the manual through the different steps.

I would do a static set up in this order. Choke, throttle cable, shift cable/timing shaft, carb interconnect linkage and mixture screws to 1 to 11/4 turn out.

Dynamic timing is done by jumping the solinoid with the throttle in the WOT position. Aim the timing light for the marks on the flywheel and set it to the one that the book says is 28 degrees. ( memory fails) If you do a search for timing, Frank Acampora (sorry if I spelled it wrong Frank) :redface: has posted which marks are which several times. The adjusment is made with a screw on the shaft linkage from the left side of the engine. (right side looking aft)

Take it a step at a time and it is no problem. I sure beats the hell out of rigging a Pratt and Whitney PT6-45 engine that I can assure you. ;)

John

bradleeson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mrdoorguy: "The Sierra Part No 18-3030 Does Not Fit It, Which I Boats Said It Did"

Can someone please tell me the correct part number?

john from md

Commander

mercruiser 47-803630T

Search ebay for Force water pump. 17.99

Regards,

John

bradleeson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It states that number has been discontinued and refers back to 18-3030.

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

John from MD is correct.
803630T is the number I found at
Crownleymaring dot com
If you do a shearch for that PN on the Inet you get about
6 places you can buy it.

They have blow up schematics of Force engines.
The picture looks just like the on that goes in it.
I think I made the same mistake awhile back.

When you replace it, read the sticky post at the top.

Good Luck,

Mike

bradleeson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just purchased it on ebay and used my promo code. $17.39 with shipping. Thanks guys, and sorry for hijacking this post mrdoorguy. ;)

bradleeson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more thing. I am seeming to have trouble finding the PN for the gasket?

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

mercruiserparts dot com has the number for the gasket.
It helps to have your enging serial number.

Hope this helps,

Mike

mrdoorguy

Cadet

the correct impeller is 18-3017. thats the one thats works in my motor. the 18-3030 did not for over the splines on the lower shaft. as to the gasket i did'nt find one but mine was in excellent condition looks like someone changed it, then it did't **** water and sold the boat. so i reused it and it's fine, but i would like to know what gasket and where to get it. have you rebuilt your fuel pump. got some questions??
chris(mrdoorguy)

mrdoorguy

Cadet

so back to my problems of hot starting. I checked the compression and they all came back right at 125 +or- 5 to 7. I give the idle screw just a little twist to raise the idle up and its starts without even a full turn of the flywheel. Everytime!!!
I still am going to check the timing and take new plugs with my to the lake tomorrow. should i rebuild the fuel pump just because. is it a necessary thing to do. And i also changed the thermostat. when i dunk the lower unit in a bucket and start it h20 doesn't come out for like 30 seconds to a minute. Good or bad? But after it warms up it continusely come out and its fairly warm but not scalding hot. I still have not figured out the neutral throttle thing. I am going to post somepictures so all can see them it is a tricky situation that i am finding with the lever. Thanks everyone you have been most helpfull so far.

john from md

Commander

If you don't know when the fuel pump diaphram was changed, change it to establish a base line. It only costs about $15 and takes about 1/2 hour to do.

It is normal for the water to take a minute to start running. The pump has to prime itself and fill the passeges as it comes up. The water won't get real hot as there is some bypass water mixing with the hot water.

I understand that your idle knob has broken off. If you can show us some pics, we might be able to suggest something. Also look around for some used boat places. They usually have loads of old parts laying around. You might be able to buy a trottle control cheap and take the lever off or replace the control box.

Regards,

John

mrdoorguy

Cadet

ok so i took the boat out today, and it took about 30 seconds to start up. Ran and idled great. drove it ten minutes, shut it off and id fired up immediately. I do believe the idls was set so low that it was not getting enough gas to start, it would almost have to flood to start because it would have a lot of gas n the cylinders then i would gas it and it would go. So i have all that former problem taken care of. I still need to put up some pictures of the shifter just because it should be fixed. Would you recommend buy a fuel pump rebuild kit form iboats or somewhere else?

john from md

Commander

Shop and compare prices. In my experience, they are all mercruiser or Quicksilver parts just priced differently. Make sure you buy the kit where the gaskets look like a snowman (a smaller round circle on top of a larger circle).

Some kits have extra gaskets that you won't need unless you take off the housing that is attached to the motor head as well. There is no need to take this part off if you are just replacing the diaphram.

The kits are running anywhere from $16 to $20 on ebay.

Glad to hear she is running better.;)

John

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

NAPA can get the part in a day or so. Returns aren't a problem.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I have an 85 hp force that if you don't let it idle for a minute or two after running it hard it is hard to start. after I learned to let it idle for a min it starts almost instantly every time.